CTO Gels
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default CTO Gels

Shooting indoors under tungsten lighting at the camera sync speed of 1/250th, do you need to gel the flash and set the white balance to tungsten, or will the flash overpower the ambient so you can shoot bounced or diffused without correction and with white balance set to AWB or flash?

Old 12-02-2007   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 240
Default Re: CTO Gels

Depends on how much of the background won;t be illuminated by the flash. A larger room will have falloff rom the flash and reveal the orange tungsten balanced lights. In a smaller room, you can probably get away with not using a gelled strobe.
MagicNikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Thanks for the response. I think I know the answer to this question but I will ask it anyway; with a two light setup, and a gel on your fill light, would you also gel your key light even though it is shot through a white umbrella?
NUM2BIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

If you're geling your fill light to match any ambient light then you'd also want to gel your key light so everyone plays nicely together.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: