Newbie to studio need help understanding metering - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Newbie to studio need help understanding metering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen F View Post
mmm i get what your saying (yes I am metering each seperate to get the ratio 2:1)
but when to say "if you main = f:8.0 and your fill is 5.6(-1stop)" I go from F8.0 to F7.1 -F6.3 - F5.6 which is the two stops that i have.
f:8.0 to f:5.6 is only ONE FULL stop. the other numbers are 2/3 and 1/2 stops. Not sure about the 2/3, but it looks right.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #12
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449

Use your spot meter to meter off a grey card and then read the histogram. Adjust accordingly. The camera's spot should be the most accurate measure. Flash meter may get you close but it may not be calibrated to your camera. For example, my lastest body requires about 1/2 stop more light than my other bodies. If I set my camera based on the flash meter, I will be one half stop under.
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 116
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen F View Post
I`m thinking now along the lines that the lights are too close to subject tried another shot using bounced brollys and it came out much better using the info from here.
And you might be perfectly correct. One reason I was wondering how close the light source was.

Moving the light source farther away, will even out and reduce the contrast on the whole subject, making things more in range exposure wise.
Old 11-30-2007   #14
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 120

What you mean by adjusting flash exposure? I think you should post your problem shot. Would be much simpler to see where the problem is.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: