Elinchrom 11 and 22 !?!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007   #1
JPS
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 29
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Elinchrom 11 and 22 !?!

Hi all !

I just bought two Elinchrom 22 and one 11 to a guy who had them in the original box for yeeeeears and never used them ! He eventually decided to sell them and i got the deal for the equivalent of US $400.-, with three stands, 3 different umbrellas, a barndoor and a honeycomb diffuser !

Now, they were made BEFORE the digital era, so there's no way to change the power on these flashes, so i guess the only way to control it is by changing the distance to the subject/model !?!

Anyone ever used these studio flashes and could give me some tips ?

TIA,
J-P.

Feel free to comment/critic if there's a picture attached ! ...and even it there isn't any !
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #2
JPS
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 29
Editing OK?: Ask first

Hi !

Coming back to my problem, i tried these flashes at my place, but as the space is rather restricted, i can't move the flashes away enough, so i have to use 1:250 at minimum f/11, even at ISO 100 !

I would like to be aboe to use f/4 to blurr the background, bu then i would have to reduce the shutter-speed acordingly... I remember having read that there's a way to set the D200 to be able to shoot with flash at very fast shutter-speed, but i just can't remember HOW !

Any idea?

TIA,
J-P.
Old 11-28-2007   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Elinchrom 11 and 22 !?!

Changing your shutter speed will not help. With strobes, you get the same exposure at 1/30 of a second as you do at 1/250 ( assuming there is low ambient light)

The speed of the strobe is so quick in comparison to your shutter speed ( > 1/600 of a second?) that most of the time your shutter is open, it is exposing for available light.

What you need to do is knock down the light the strobes emit. You can do this with gels/ grids etc. but to try to take a f/11 to an f/4... good luck.

Glenn
grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #4
qiv
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 45
Editing OK?: Yes

Filters on the bulbs and on the lenses would help, but finding a good balance will be nasty. By moving them away you also change the strength and the fall-off of the light, so you should not do it, as you want to use artifical light for having the control You could aim it at a wall, getting a huge light source at the same time.

The Highspeedsynchronisation of your cam will only work with the Nikon system speedlights, but not with studio strobes.
qiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28
Editing OK?: No

JPS, use some difussion material in front of the strobe. By adding additional layers it will reduce the amount of light. Also a scrim will cut the amount of light.
desertrat_ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No

You could also use a neutral Density filter on your lens to cut the light.

I have also cut my light by throwing coffee filters over the strobes.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: