Please help a newbie!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1511
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Please help a newbie!

I am expecting delivery of my first set of AB's this week and am looking forward to spending all weekend playing with them!

However, just to add a little pressure to my otherwise perfect weekend, my niece as asked me to photograph her kids around the Christmas tree next week. I know the ambient light will be very low and achieving sharp images without using at least one AB be impossible. At the same time, I'd rather not drown out the lights from the tree.

Is there any way to do this? The kids are 2.5 and 4 months - definitely not cooperative, so a fast shutter speed is an absolute necessity.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Please help a newbie!

A fast shutter speed in not an absolute necessity... the speed that the strobe fires will freeze them, and unless they are jumping, should be somewhat sharp.

The same principals used to expose the building can be used to expose the tree...
http://photocamel.com/forum/lighting...-building.html
grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

The strobe will freeze any movement, the trick is not to have the flash overpower the tree. Take a meter reading of the ambient light, then use a f stop one number higher to get the correct exposure, while still capturing the tree.
Old 11-28-2007   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 33

Raising the ISO of your camera will help, too. At ISO 400 and 1/60 of a second shutter speed you should be able to pick up the Christmas lights. You might want to add a little flash just to put a catchlight in their eyes. Good luck!

Regards,
Marc
mslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1511
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks guys, this gives me some idea of where to start! I'm still anxiously awaiting the UPS guy though. I've been tracking the package online and it shows it as having arrived in the city here yesterday morning, but on hold waiting for payment (good ol' tax guy!). I thought they'd have phoned by now...

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: