Light set up photo, help me learn.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Light set up photo, help me learn.

Trying to find a better way to use my lights, you can see my space is limited. Model is 6' from backdrop. Large AlienBee softbox camera left with AB800 for main, Bounce umbrella with AB800 near camera axes for fill, reflector for fill on the hair on camera right, AB800 with gel and grid for background. Any suggestions on a better way to set up for portrait lighting with space available appreciated.

Result of set up

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 14623
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Light set up photo, help me learn.

Harry... I have no suggestions as I am a novice with lighting myself. Do have questions though! On the portrait... were you in the same position as when you shot the first image and just 'zoomed' in? How far is the camera from your subject?

Dacoda Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #3
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacoda Image View Post
Harry... I have no suggestions as I am a novice with lighting myself. Do have questions though! On the portrait... were you in the same position as when you shot the first image and just 'zoomed' in? How far is the camera from your subject?
Stacey I moved back and zoomed out to get the set-up shot. I was just behind the edge of the bounce umbrella for the real shot, I am guessing about 6' to 8' from her.

Old 11-26-2007   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 14623
Editing OK?: Ask first

Harry thanks for responding!

Dacoda Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 153
Editing OK?: Ask First

Looks good to me but I'd use a little facial powder to kill the specular highlights and maybe a little higher ratio between the key and fill and it looks like you'd be in competition with benji.
alive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #6
dgs
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 359

Harry, take this with a grain of salt, as I am learning also. The teacher that I had did not like the subject turned at a 90 degree angle, as the head looks disconnected. I do not see that here, but I think it would be more pleasing if she was turned more of around 45 degrees. I wonder if it would work better with more contrast between the sides of the head. Also my teacher, wanted head shots cropped with the same amount of space below the chin as the height of the head.

thanks,
Danny
Old 11-26-2007   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alive1 View Post
Looks good to me but I'd use a little facial powder to kill the specular highlights and maybe a little higher ratio between the key and fill and it looks like you'd be in competition with benji.
Thanks, I agree with the powder part, that is straight from the camera with no processing, I am sure I could tone it down a little. As far as competing with my hero Benji that will never happen .

Old 11-26-2007   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Harry, take this with a grain of salt, as I am learning also. The teacher that I had did not like the subject turned at a 90 degree angle, as the head looks disconnected. I do not see that here, but I think it would be more pleasing if she was turned more of around 45 degrees. I wonder if it would work better with more contrast between the sides of the head. Also my teacher, wanted head shots cropped with the same amount of space below the chin as the height of the head.

thanks,
Danny
Danny thanks, I agree with the pose being poor but it is the only one I shot a set-up image with. Here is another pose with the same light set-up and some photoshop.

Quote:
Also my teacher, wanted head shots cropped with the same amount of space below the chin as the height of the head.
I will be trying this, I never know where to crop, thanks!

Old 11-26-2007   #9
dgs
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 359

I like this one so much better. I say frame it, and be proud.

thanks,
Danny
Old 11-26-2007   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Harry,

That's a nice shot but I would also like to see more ratio between the Key and fill light. This heavy fill makes her face appear rounder and heavier. Notice how thick her neck looks? Some shadow on the camera right side would make her neck and face look thinner.

In fact, I wouldn't use a fill light at all.

Move your key light closer, much closer, to the subject, just out of the frame and use the white, not the silver, side of your disc for fill. You can adjust the lighting ratio by moving the fill disc closer or farther away.

Having the softbox larger and closer to the subject will create soft, translucent specular highlights on the skin which are more transparent, less opaque, with less shine on the skin.

A small softbox overhead, on a boom would make a nice hair/separation light.

Since your subject is wearing blue perhaps a color other than a blue gel for the background would be better.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: