Light set up photo, help me learn. - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2250
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Light set up photo, help me learn.

With 3 lights and one reflector you have many different options.

1. With this current setup; Your main light is way too far away and too far off axis. It should be around 45 degrees, and just out of the frame of the photo as close to the model as possible.

2. I also commonly use 3 lights and one reflector. I like to use one of my lights for the main, my reflector for the fill lighting, one light for the background, and one light (opposite to the main) for rim lighting.

3. When I have a model that comes in with nice cheek bones, I also sometimes set up for beauty lighting (sometimes called clam shell lighting). The main light ends up above the camera axis up high with a reflector below the camera axis pointing upwards.

4. For young models with really good skin I also sometimes switch to a beauty dish for the main light.

5. I also sometimes use grids for the main light to create a moody low key look.

6. You can also do 2 back rim lights on opposite sides of the model. I usually do these with grids to control where the light goes. I then use a main light and a reflector for fill.

7. I also sometimes use color gels for the rim and back lights. Sometimes I use 2 different colors.

8. I also like to sometimes shoot without a backdrop. The whole idea is to keep the background very simple and light it like a set. Sometimes a white corridor simply lit with one main light and a reflector for fill on the model yields excellent results. Other times a doorway to a bedroom with a color gel lighting the room can be used for a great lingerie scene. With the bed partially in view in the background and the model seductively posed, it looks like she is inviting you to join her for some extra curricular activities. You can also shoot on a sofa for the set, or by a French door, or next to a window, next to a car in the garage, etc...

You have the lights and the equipment to do some great shots. You just need to keep shooting, learning, and having fun with the whole process.
Old 12-06-2007   #22
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blundar View Post
With 3 lights and one reflector you have many different options.

1. With this current setup; Your main light is way too far away and too far off axis. It should be around 45 degrees, and just out of the frame of the photo as close to the model as possible.

2. I also commonly use 3 lights and one reflector. I like to use one of my lights for the main, my reflector for the fill lighting, one light for the background, and one light (opposite to the main) for rim lighting.

3. When I have a model that comes in with nice cheek bones, I also sometimes set up for beauty lighting (sometimes called clam shell lighting). The main light ends up above the camera axis up high with a reflector below the camera axis pointing upwards.

4. For young models with really good skin I also sometimes switch to a beauty dish for the main light.

5. I also sometimes use grids for the main light to create a moody low key look.

6. You can also do 2 back rim lights on opposite sides of the model. I usually do these with grids to control where the light goes. I then use a main light and a reflector for fill.

7. I also sometimes use color gels for the rim and back lights. Sometimes I use 2 different colors.

8. I also like to sometimes shoot without a backdrop. The whole idea is to keep the background very simple and light it like a set. Sometimes a white corridor simply lit with one main light and a reflector for fill on the model yields excellent results. Other times a doorway to a bedroom with a color gel lighting the room can be used for a great lingerie scene. With the bed partially in view in the background and the model seductively posed, it looks like she is inviting you to join her for some extra curricular activities. You can also shoot on a sofa for the set, or by a French door, or next to a window, next to a car in the garage, etc...

You have the lights and the equipment to do some great shots. You just need to keep shooting, learning, and having fun with the whole process.
Thanks Blunder, I am going to get a chance to play this evening and plan to try lots of new set ups I have gel's so I may try using one for a rim light and see how it looks. I appreciate your help.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #23
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1385
Editing OK?: Ask first

Hello,
In the tight space you are working in, you may have sufficient bounce from the walls and ceiling to give you what fill you may need. The soft box works best close to the subject, it's placement can only be determined by the shadow it casts accross the bridge of the nose and the loop shadow under the tip of the nose. The control of your main creates the necessary shadows to model the face. Then add fill if needed. All lighting techniques should begin by placing your main light in such a position that it casts the exact shadows to best model the face.

C Webb
C Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #24
F1 Camel

Thanks C Webb, I got to shoot again last night and tried several set-ups. It seemed like I was not getting enough fill from the room bouncing around the room so I added the reflector back, but I did shoot some without any fill and will check them out today. I will start a new thread after I get them processed. I sure appreciate all the help.

Old 12-07-2007   #25
Llama

CamelKarma: 1855123
Editing OK?: Ask First

It's probably been mentioned but the closer your lights are to your subject the softer the light sources will be. NO matter what you are using for modifiers, the result closer to the subject will result in a softer light source for that modifier. I am not trying to over speak anyone and I am commenting not reading the responses.

J T
J T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #26
F1 Camel

Thanks JT. I did try it last night and will post results after I get them processed.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: