Light set up photo, help me learn. - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Light set up photo, help me learn.

From your set up shot, it looks like the main light is very far from your subject. Get that soft box in as close as you can (maybe 2 feet away from the subject). That will help smooth out the highlights and make the light wrap around nicely.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Harry,

That's a nice shot but I would also like to see more ratio between the Key and fill light. This heavy fill makes her face appear rounder and heavier. Notice how thick her neck looks? Some shadow on the camera right side would make her neck and face look thinner.

In fact, I wouldn't use a fill light at all.

Move your key light closer, much closer, to the subject, just out of the frame and use the white, not the silver, side of your disc for fill. You can adjust the lighting ratio by moving the fill disc closer or farther away.

Having the softbox larger and closer to the subject will create soft, translucent specular highlights on the skin which are more transparent, less opaque, with less shine on the skin.

A small softbox overhead, on a boom would make a nice hair/separation light.

Since your subject is wearing blue perhaps a color other than a blue gel for the background would be better.
Thanks Brooks, I will give it a try next chance I get. I do not have a light meter and I am fighting to get the ratios I want, your suggestions may be just what I am needing.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #13
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
From your set up shot, it looks like the main light is very far from your subject. Get that soft box in as close as you can (maybe 2 feet away from the subject). That will help smooth out the highlights and make the light wrap around nicely.
John thanks, when I move the softbox closer should it be in front of her just a little shooting across in front of her, and up high?

Old 11-26-2007   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591

Yes, I like to feather the softbox to light across the subject and then have a fill card on the other side. Try it out. You should, however, experiment with moving it around more to the back, more to the front, etc. to see what works for your subject.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #15
F1 Camel

Quote:
Yes, I like to feather the softbox to light across the subject and then have a fill card on the other side. Try it out. You should, however, experiment with moving it around more to the back, more to the front, etc. to see what works for your subject.
Thanks John, I hope to find someone to come and just let me play with lighting the next time I have the studio set up. It sure helps to have some idea of what to try instead of just guessing. I sure appreciate you and everyone else here, this is the BEST photography forum because of all the helpful people.

Old 11-27-2007   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 542743

Quote:
Harry I use the 47 inch Octabox for my main. My biggest problem is that when I set it at two feet away it doesn't produce those killer catchlights. They are big and dim, but at two feet away that big octabox throws some killer light.

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 542743

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryd View Post
Thanks Brooks, I will give it a try next chance I get. I do not have a light meter and I am fighting to get the ratios I want, your suggestions may be just what I am needing.
Harry, get a light meter for your very next purchase. It will eliminate all the guesswork and make your life so much simpler. I recommend the Sekonic L358. That seems to be the one everyone is using, although I am still using my perfectly functional ancient Minolta Autometer IVF

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #18
F1 Camel

Mojo I was putting the softbox closer but I was pointing it towards the model before I started playing and learning about feathering, I cant wait to get to set up again and try to make it better.
I do see a light meter in my future, thanks for the recommendation.

Old 11-27-2007   #19
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 120

Nice thread.

BTW - I was reading some old threads on zuga.net and there it was mentioned to keep the umbrella in such a way that the light coming out of it would go in a straight line, not pointing down. Just like positioning the softbox in JimmyZ lighting thread. Those threads also mentioned that a small umbrella is more than enough for role as the fill light.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #20
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Nice thread.

BTW - I was reading some old threads on zuga.net and there it was mentioned to keep the umbrella in such a way that light coming out of it would go in a straight line, not pointing down. Just like positioning the softbox in JimmyZ lighting thread. Those threads also mentioned that a small umbrella is more than enough for the role as fill light.
Cool, something else to try if I can't get enough fill without the fill light.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: