PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Lighting Technique (https://photocamel.com/forum/lighting-technique/)
-   -   How to expose a subject with dimly lit historical building (https://photocamel.com/forum/lighting-technique/36044-how-expose-subject-dimly-lit-historical-building.html)

benevuto 11-24-2007 09:55 AM

How to expose a subject with dimly lit historical building

I'm trying to expose a human subject stand in front of a old dimly lit restaurant. I tried to use both Av,Tv and P FEC set to -1/3,-2/3 and -1 but still the subject is well exposed but the background is dark?

I try to lock the expose but the result is still the same.

FYI I meter the subject.

If I meter the background the subject will be overexpose.

The techniquce I use to lock the exposure:-

in spot meter, i point the center focus point to the background and lock it. then I focus again the subject and snap.

aam1234 11-24-2007 10:10 AM

Re: How to expose a subject with dimly lit historical building

I don't have the answer to your question but welcome to the Camel.

grsphoto 11-24-2007 11:22 AM

There isn't a "expose person in front of dimly lite building mode" on most cameras so you have to work out the exposures yourself and go to manual mode.

Get a meter reading of the building... try for something in the 1/15 of a second range.

Then set your flash for the same f stop as the reading. The flash will expose and freeze your foreground subject.

To add or subtract background increase or decrease your shutter speed, but keep your f stop constant.

Glenn

aam1234 11-24-2007 12:26 PM

Glenn, I thought one controls the ratio of ambient vs. flash through the aperture...or did I get it backwards.

Thanks

One on one 11-24-2007 12:34 PM

Flash exposure is controlled by the aperature. The shutter will allow more or less ambient light depending on its setting.

aam1234 11-24-2007 12:37 PM

Got it, thanks.

grsphoto 11-24-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aam1234 (Post 290772)
Glenn, I thought one controls the ratio of ambient vs. flash through the aperture...or did I get it backwards.

Thanks

Your flash is going to fire at a very high rate ( >1/600 of a second for speedlights)... so for most flash photography purposes your shutter speed doesn't matter as long as your shutter is fully open when it fires ( sync speed setting)

Adjusting your shutter speed is not going to effect the amount of light the flash will send out. The only thing that counts is the aperture ( below sync speed)

What changes as you adjust the shutter speed is the amount of ambient light that the sensor picks up... the amount of light from the flash is the same at one second as it is at 1/200 of a second.

Glenn

aam1234 11-24-2007 12:59 PM

Cheers Glenn. Thanks.

benevuto 11-25-2007 08:27 PM

Thanks all your tips and your warm welcome:)

waple 11-29-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grsphoto (Post 290724)
Get a meter reading of the building... try for something in the 1/15 of a second range.

Then set your flash for the same f stop as the reading. The flash will expose and freeze your foreground subject.

There's something I don't understand about this. Okay, to get a meter reading from the building, you can go into Tv and set the shutter to 1/15, set ISO to whatever, let's assume 400, and then let's say you get an apperture of f4.

Now, you say to set the flash for the same f stop as the reading. If you're using something like and Alien Bees B800 that has a slider on the back that goes from 1/1 to 1/32, where would you set it? This is the part that confuses me.