How to expose a subject with dimly lit historical building - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: How to expose a subject with dimly lit historical building

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
Now, you say to set the flash for the same f stop as the reading. If you're using something like and Alien Bees B800 that has a slider on the back that goes from 1/1 to 1/32, where would you set it? This is the part that confuses me.
I can't speak for the gentleman/lady, but I'm almost certain they mean on-camera flash, not a strobe.
Old 11-29-2007   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
I can't speak for the gentleman/lady, but I'm almost certain they mean on-camera flash, not a strobe.
Perhaps, but what if they (I) am using a strobe like this. How would it be done, or is it guesswork unless you have a lightmeter?
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385

Quote:
There's something I don't understand about this. Okay, to get a meter reading from the building, you can go into Tv and set the shutter to 1/15, set ISO to whatever, let's assume 400, and then let's say you get an apperture of f4.

Now, you say to set the flash for the same f stop as the reading. If you're using something like and Alien Bees B800 that has a slider on the back that goes from 1/1 to 1/32, where would you set it? This is the part that confuses me.
The sliders on the back are OK for showing you relative changes, but you will need to meter ( using a hand held meter) to get the actual value.

So using your camera in Tv mode your get 1/15 f 4.0 at 400 ISO
You would then adjust your flash to output f 4.0 at 400 ISO using your handheld meter to take the readings.

Then you would switch your camera to manual mode..1/15, f 4.0 400 ISO..take your test shot. want to adjust the background, switch your shutter speed, want to adjust your flash exposed foreground use the flash adjustment or your f stops.

Glenn
grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #14
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
If you are using on camera flash with ETTL you can get the the exposure with Tv mode. ( say 1/15, f4.0. 400 ISO) Then go to manual mode with these settings and the camera should shut the flash off when it gets the right amount of light.

Leaving your f stops the same, you can control the background by adjusting shutter speed.

Glenn
Old 11-29-2007   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

I'm not sure how all this Alien Bee, light meter, etc. talk solves the OP's question. Based on the original details, they are using a speedlight on the camera, and using ETTL. Tv and Av mode with a flash is for "fill" only, and will not give the most consistent results. Put the camera in M mode. Meter for a proper, or somewhat underexposed background by half pressing the shutter, watching the meter, and altering the exposure settings to the desired result. Leave the FEC at +/-0 and take a picture. if the subject is dark, increase FEC, or the opposite if its too light.
Old 11-29-2007   #16
Dromedary

sorry mr Francho... I didn't realize that threads were not allowed to wander... oh well I will try and do better next time. As well I am trying to figure out how you know what equipment the OP is using.
Old 11-29-2007   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

No, I don't have a problem with the answers, it just confused me as why no one thought to provide a solution to the OP that was relevant to the equipment he/she was using. It's like telling a guy with a compact digital camera to get a SLR fast aperture prime for shooting in low light conditions. you know what I mean? technically, if you can set up shop at the location, with a bunch of lights, using your advice, one could make a killer shot.
Old 11-29-2007   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Quote:
Perhaps, but what if they (I) am using a strobe like this. How would it be done, or is it guesswork unless you have a lightmeter?
In the studio test your AB flash as various settings at 10 feet and 100 ASA/ISO. Make a chart with these results. When you go on location set the light the same and pick the setting that gives you the results you need. Chimp the image and adjust the slider accordingly.

If you can't put the light at 10 feet, calculate the distance by using the GN/Dis = f"stop based on the full power setting, using the f:stop you got in the studio at full power times 10 to give you the guide number of your flash. The GN will change for every new reflector or light modifier you use. Once you know the f:stop based on the location and using the GN calculation, use the slider settings to get it where you wnat it, chimp as before.

I would really just recommend getting a light meter that meters both flash and ambient light and figuring it out that way.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #19
Llama

CamelKarma: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
I would really just recommend getting a light meter that meters both flash and ambient light and figuring it out that way.
Yeah, lol. I think that's probably just going to be easier. I really appreciate the help from all the answers.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Besides, I think the problem is the reverse of all the information. You have too much light on the person and not enough on the building. So adding on camera flash cannot help you. You need to add light to the building or remove it from the person. A meter would have made that very clear.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: