Shooting metalic items-- Need lighting advice and a background - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting metalic items-- Need lighting advice and a background

You're into compromises with shots like this. Close up, a lot of depth in the subject, small apertures to get depth of field...

Going to a larger format reduces depth of field, so you end up using even smaller apertures. LF gives you movements, which are used to compensate for the shallow dof.

The book's old, but still relevant - and excellent.

A lot depends on how large the shot willl be reproduced - catalog size doesn'T need a large original.

Perhaps recomposing to reduce the depth in the subject will help - but you may lose the effect you're looking for.

It's difficult to see what the original is really like due to jpeg jaggies.
kevgermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
It's difficult to see what the original is really like due to jpeg jaggies.
Click on the bar above the image, and the jaggies go away. They are from bilinear resizing by the forum software, not jpeg compression.
Old 12-11-2007   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by One on one View Post
Of course you need to have a sharp lens to go along with the larger image size. A larger negative allows for more information recorded of your subject. Compare some of the test images from the new D3. The sharpness and detail is obvious. Now record the image on a 2-1/4 negative or larger and the image is even more impressive. Do you remember the image quality of a disc camera or 110 camera compared to 35mm? It's the same thing. Larger negative or sensor will give you a better, sharper more detailed final product

You can't get the same image quality from a digital SLR as what you would get from a larger format negative. Photoshop isn't going to make up for detail that just isn't there.
Would a Canon 5D be better than the 30D since it has a larger sensor? I am thinking about getting one as my 2nd body since I shoot a lot of low light and wide angle. If this is another selling point, I may get it sooner.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
Would a Canon 5D be better than the 30D since it has a larger sensor? I am thinking about getting one as my 2nd body since I shoot a lot of low light and wide angle. If this is another selling point, I may get it sooner.
A larger sensor should be better. You should do your homework by checking out reviews on it. See if you can see some real results. If you have a good camera store available, maybe you can do an A B comparison with your present camera. Shoot onto your memory card then see the results for yourself.
Old 12-11-2007   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

You can do the DOF calculations yourself: Online Depth of Field Calculator. I don't think there will be any noticeable advantage in terms of DOF using a 5D. If you maintain the FOV, FL, and aperture, the DOF will be very similar. Before shelling out the $$$ for a 5D, consider what the image will be used for. I don't see any problem with the sharpness in the above image. Its resized for the web, so its really impossible to tell if it can be improved, without seeing some 100% crops of various parts of the image. If the image is for online use, a bit of high pass filter will add some snap to it.
Old 12-11-2007   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 32
Editing OK?: Ask First

"precision" is an interesting word, especially in relation to mechanical parts, it normally relates to fit and tolerance, rather than the look of the object.
I second the recommendation by kevgermany on the book "Light Science and Magic", its well worth the small cost.

Sharpness is a combination of resolution and acutance.
Resolution is the ability to resolve fine detail and is the domain of the lens and the film stock or digital sensor. Acutance is the contrast between adjacent pixels. Digital sharpening tools play around with the acutance.

Rather than write another essay on the subject, If I may, I'll direct you to an article by Ron Bigelow.

John

flickr
jbimages is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: