Jill Greenberg Lighting - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008   #11
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Jill Greenberg Lighting

The lighting diagram (above) is pretty accurate- possibly only one butterfly light and 2 kickers. From a portrait point of view this lighting is not at all flattering and creates a disunity of lighting but for the purpose of eye-catching images- it rocks! If Ms. Greenberg is shooting images for outdoor advertising she is doing a good job and the retouching skills are right on that those purposes.

Some folks may find some of her images to be a bit grotesque or even a bit sick like the kid in front of Santa's tombstone. "Yes Virginia, Santa's dead!". I find most of her stuff kinda amusing and very well crafted- the stuff of good advertising image- they attract the eye!

I doubt if there is any issues of child abuse involved. With my face, crying children are oftentimes a daily occurrence in my studio- all I have to do is look at them and the shrieking begins, however, I am good with kids so I quickly get them to smile once I convince them that I am really NOT the bogyman. I'm sure Ms. Greenberg is prettier than me.

I took a second look- many of the images are very caricature-like. I like that. Most of the lighting is exactly the same.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Shapiro; 11-24-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

that's sooo cool! good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by J kacey View Post
Messing around with her lighting style....... 8 lights
I did not make my son cry for the pic..... Set up lights and waited for one of his moments
ivokwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #13
Bactrian

Location: That thin line between teaching middle schoolers to sing, and sanity...
CamelKarma: 5886
Editing OK?: Yes

Her images appeared almost HDR to me - was it an HDR technique, or is it entirely from the lighting?

"...God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son"
- 1 John 5:11

http://www.petersen-photo.com
PetersenPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Left Brain Thinker

CamelKarma: 3017
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersenPhotography View Post
Her images appeared almost HDR to me - was it an HDR technique, or is it entirely from the lighting?
No, she doesn't use HDR. It's all the lighting.

The lighting diagram that weighter posted has been floating around for a while and Jill Greenberg has posted information in a couple of places and videos about her setup, which matches the lighting diagram.

Regards,

Peter

http://www.photocamel.com/gallery/da...lueChecker.jpg
peterst6906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 247
Editing OK?: Yes

This is the approximate lighting setup I used. Determined by the equipment I had on hand. I would think any similar set up would work.
If you have a friend with equipment too you could team up for a shoot like this.
J kacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #16
Alpaca

I understand the light on the backdrop, the rimlights to the model from behind, and the ringlight. I am not sure what the two left and right softbox/umbrella in the front really add, also in her original setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J kacey View Post
This is the approximate lighting setup I used. Determined by the equipment I had on hand. I would think any similar set up would work.
If you have a friend with equipment too you could team up for a shoot like this.
ivokwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #17
Alpaca

Cool Re: Jill Greenberg Lighting

Amazing post, really helped me understand a lot about this amazing lighting technique.

I've been shopping around for lighting equipment and I stopped over Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Photography Equipment - CALUMET but the prices are outrageous.

Do you guys recommend any particular lighting kit for beginners? Something good but not that expensive?

Thanks in advance!
Yrving

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: