Inexpensive lighting kits
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 31
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Inexpensive lighting kits

I know a lot on here praise the ABs but I was wondering if anyone had these Interfit lights - Amazon.com: Interfit Photographic EX 150A, Two 150 watt second Monolight Home Studio Flash Kit with Stands, Softbox & Umbrella: Camera & Photo

And if so what they thought of them.

Now for a little bit of a possibly dumb question, what is the difference between 150 watt second and 300 watt second lights. Other than the obvious 150 watt second difference - what does it actually mean in layman's terms.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 10-17-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Inexpensive lighting kits

150ws lights aren't going to be enough for most jobs. AB's are the economical solution.
Old 10-17-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 113

AlienBees love aside, there are other options. 150w is probably too weak for a main light. You can look at Adorama and Amvona for other light options.
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8
Sigma 2x teleconverter
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
18-55mm stock (came with the D50)
Nikkor 70-300mm
http://www.kaymeephotography.com
Sacramento Photography Examiner
drkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanedan View Post

Now for a little bit of a possibly dumb question, what is the difference between 150 watt second and 300 watt second lights. Other than the obvious 150 watt second difference - what does it actually mean in layman's terms.

Thanks,

Dan
The difference between 150ws and 300ws is an increase in electrical power released to the flash tube of 100% which usually, though not always, means that the 300ws light is one stop brighter or twice as bright as a 150ws light.

The issue with these cheap imported Chinese strobes is that they're underpowered, have uselessly dim model lamps of 100 watts or less, have little customer service for repair, are limited in the modifiers available, and are cheaply built out of plastic with poor electronics.

In other words, they're a waste of money if you're looking for professional lighting equipment. Save your money and buy something worth buying.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Default To do it on the cheap...

You might look for some used name brand lights on eBay. If you opt for powerpack lights, you can really get a lot of bang for your buck. Just be careful that the shipping on the heavy powerpack doesn't eat up your savings.

Older Novatron or Speedotron (Black or Brown Line) lighting set ups can be a very good value.

Another option is the Sunpak Platinum and Platinum Plus line of monolights that ar available from Adorama and other places. Sunpak has been producing excellent flash units for a long time. Theit 120J and 283 shoe mount flash units are great.

I have an excellent 400 WS Sunpak Studio strobe which I use with a Chimera Medium Softbox when I want to cover a large area with a soft light. The medium Chimera is a really big unit about 24" x 48". I bought the Sunpak 400 WS unit several years ago (used for about $100) and have been using it with good results ever since.

I also have two of Paul C. Buff's original White Lightning 5,000 ("coffee can") units which I use for dog portraiture. I have had these units for over 25 years and paid $50 each for them. I have shot thousands upon thousands of images with these lights at a pro-rated cost of about $2.00 per year. They don't have all the bells and whistles of the newer units but, they are like the Energizer Bunny and "keep going and going". They also produce some darn good lighting.

Here is what my dog portrait setup looks like and a couple of shots of Joey!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa setup.jpg (89.2 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg Joey 7x9 retouched 001 copy.jpg (58.0 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg Joey small retouched jpg.jpg (76.1 KB, 386 views)

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #6
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449
Default Re: To do it on the cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpcrowe View Post
I also have two of Paul C. Buff's original White Lightning 5,000 ("coffee can") units which I use for dog portraiture. I have had these units for over 25 years and paid $50 each for them. I have shot thousands upon thousands of images with these lights at a pro-rated cost of about $2.00 per year. They don't have all the bells and whistles of the newer units but, they are like the Energizer Bunny and "keep going and going". They also produce some darn good lighting.
Nice, but no longer available.
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449

I would try B&H for lighting kits. They have a great selection and range of prices. I agree that the power on these are so low that you may outgrow them very quickly. May not be able to shoot more than two or three people.
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

I think he wqs referring to previously enjoyed equipment, not new:
Quote:
You might look for some used name brand lights on eBay.
Old 10-31-2007   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 175505

I use cheap china 110 ws strobes. Using 2 of them give me F8 att 2 meters from model, thru umbrella at ISO 100. This is good for me as I have a limited area in my home to shoot, and umbrellas spread the light so I can make full body shots at that short distance.
The power will be a potential problem when your studio is larger and you want some distance from the model or background. If I were to use my strobes at 4 meters from model I would need about 4 times the power to get the same F stop ( 8 ).Light is tricky that way and fades fast.
Old 11-01-2007   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Default Re: To do it on the cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluco View Post
Nice, but no longer available.
No longer available NEW but, frequently found on eBay at around $50 each.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: