need help with wb (soft box)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007   #1
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:
Default need help with wb (soft box)

No matter what I try my background becomes off white unless I over expose then I get a high key effect. This is a soft box I made .
I'm using 2x100w equivalent daylight fluorescents and the on camera flash at 1/16 power for front fill .
The material is pure white cotton nylon mix
I've tryed setting the wb /raw just cant get it right.

Old 08-17-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: need help with wb (soft box)

Quote:
I'm using 2x100w equivalent daylight fluorescents and the on camera flash at 1/16 power for front fill .
This is your issue, stick to one form of light, and I think you'll get better results.
Old 08-17-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

John is right, you're using two completely different light sources with different color balances. Surprising how unlike daylight those "daylight" fluorescents are, isn't it?

You could balance your flash to the fluorescents. Try a 20cc, 30cc, maybe even a 40cc green or cyan filter taped to the front of your flash.

Better yet, don't use your camera flash at all. Use the first fluorescent softbox for the background (or even a bare fluorescent) and a second fluorescent softbox to light the flowers.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #4
Camel Breath

Also, let those Flouros warm up to operating temperature, about 15-30 minutes.
Old 08-17-2007   #5
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

Thanks for the tips,I'll try it and post up my results.
Old 08-17-2007   #6
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

OK I'm a bit better the green filter didn't work so I used just the two lights.
I still had issues so I set my w/b up with a 18% grey card its a bit closer and the purple looks exact now.
Getting a lot of light drop off in the box so I my need to rethink my box fabric and go with a glossy bottom and back .

Back to the drawing board ,Thanks for the help..
Old 08-17-2007   #7
Camel Breath

One more bit of advice: I hate light tents. Try it without, just use diffused, controlled light and a white background for more control. Here's an example where I was able to add a slight gradient to get the pump spout to pop:

Old 08-17-2007   #8
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
One more bit of advice: I hate light tents. Try it without, just use diffused, controlled light and a white background for more control. Here's an example where I was able to add a slight gradient to get the pump spout to pop:

good idea I'll give it ago.
Any way of making a diy gradient ,I've never needed them before will a polarizer work?
Old 08-17-2007   #9
Camel Breath

A CP won't make a gradient. I used a piece of black mat held in place above the FOV and against the background to make the gradient above. Here's more good info: http://www.photocamel.com/forum/comm...ssignment.html

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: