Excuse me while I snoot
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 862
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Excuse me while I snoot

After seeing some really good snoot pics lately I decided to whip one out for myself and see how well it would work. I was pretty happy with the results and tookthe snoot on location to a wedding shoot this past weekend. Here is one of my favorites:

For more information on how we did this, check out the article at:
Building your own snoot | L7 Foto - Free Digital Photography Tutorials and Product Reviews

http://CameraDojo.com - Reviews, Tutorials, and Podcast
KerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Default Re: Excuse me while I snoot

This is the first pic I've seen like this so I really don't know the reasoning behind it. Wouldn't it be better to take a normal flashed picture and be sure that everything is lit well in a candid situation like this, then just vigette it later in post? I'd be afraid that snooting your flash would leave you with very limited options, whereas a normal shot would allow many, incuding this effect.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 862
Default Re: Excuse me while I snoot

It is true that many lighting effects can be done in post and this type of shot is certainly not the only possibility when using a snoot. If you read the complete article you will see another example where using regular flash simply threw too much light when the goal was not to show the background. There is also a link to some really amazing pictures that where done using snoots to give you even more examples.

I am not one of those guys who will flame someone for saying "just fix it in photoshop" by any means, but sometimes it is better to do things in-camera. This particular shot certainly could have been done in a fully lit room and then edited to look like this, but, with practically $0 in equipment and 20 minutes with a glue gun, I can replicate this shot in-camera in seconds.

Another great use of a snoot is in a normal lighting situation but where you only want to throw a tight spot of light onto the background and even with a hair light where a normal strobe or constant light would just not give you the highlights that you want.

http://CameraDojo.com - Reviews, Tutorials, and Podcast
KerryG is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: