Hair Light
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 268
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Hair Light

Which is best for hair lighting, a softbox or a snoot, and why?

Old 07-09-2007   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Default Re: Hair Light

Softbox or strip softbox because it places a clean specular highlight along a longer length of hair than a small hard source like a snoot. Use a softbox/strip light with a recessed screen and a fabric grid to control spill.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No

For two or more people a small strip light or rectangular softbox will work quite nicely, as it gives you a "shotgun" approach, but for one person I like a small snoot for a more "rifle" approach. For years I use a small softbox for everything, but it tends to spill onot the shoulders, BUT with Photoshop that can be fixed quite easily nowadays.

Benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Benji,

What do you use as your "fix' nowadays?
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 589
Editing OK?: Yes

Hope you don't mind me crashing your post here doakra, but I was wondering what sort of light should be used as a hairlight. Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to studio lighting. Lights such as, the hairlight or background light, are on continuously correct? They don't fire like studio flashes do right? So, what kind of light do you buy? If someone can direct me to a picture example I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 07-11-2007   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Background lights, hair lights, key lights, etc. can be either flash or continuous. For photographing people flash is the better choice because it's not hot, has clean repeatable color, freezes motion and is more powerful.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccah View Post
Hope you don't mind me crashing your post here doakra, but I was wondering what sort of light should be used as a hairlight. Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to studio lighting. Lights such as, the hairlight or background light, are on continuously correct? They don't fire like studio flashes do right? So, what kind of light do you buy? If someone can direct me to a picture example I would really appreciate it. Thanks
I prefer flash for the reasons listed in the previous post.

As for the examples, Benji has an excellent tutorial here:
http://www.photocamel.com/forum/tuto...hting-how.html
doakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 589
Editing OK?: Yes

Ahh....thank you brooks & doakra.
Old 07-13-2007   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakra View Post
Which is best for hair lighting, a softbox or a snoot, and why?
Depends on what you're looking to achieve. If you want a hairlight that also provides some highlights on the shoulders, go with the small softbox. If you want to keep the hairlight confined to the hair, go with the snoot. If you're using a small softbox or a small strip and you're concerned with controlling spill, get some cine-foil (black foil) and attach to the sides and bottom of the box, to flag and control the light. Right tools for the job and all that.
I recently released my 3rd e-book, Zen and the Art of Portrait Photography. My first two e-books, Guerrilla Glamour and Guerrilla Headshots, are, of course, available to purchase as well. Visit my Pretty Girl Shooter glamour photography blog. I update regularly.
jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Depends on what you're looking to achieve. If you want a hairlight that also provides some highlights on the shoulders, go with the small softbox. If you want to keep the hairlight confined to the hair, go with the snoot. If you're using a small softbox or a small strip and you're concerned with controlling spill, get some cine-foil (black foil) and attach to the sides and bottom of the box, to flag and control the light. Right tools for the job and all that.

what if you're using no Hensel lights?

Don_C is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: