how to keep seamless paper clean?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 149
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default how to keep seamless paper clean?

Hello All, well I'm back in work in my home studio now. After getting all of my equipment after the first of the year I started remodeling my studio. Now I'm ready to get started back again.

So, how do people keep the white and gray seamless papers so clean looking in their pics? photoshop work? or just pull it out and tear it off after each picture? That would be allot of paper to go thru!

Just curious how others do it as I have to photoshop somewhat on every picture do to some marks.

craig

Old 07-02-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 112
Default Re: how to keep seamless paper clean?

Buying it fresh is the easiest, but covering the bottoms of your subject's shoes with masking tape can greatly reduce the tracks across the paper. It takes a few minutes to do, and trim right, but it will also save you some money.
billkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Roll it out and tear it off after each session.

If you want something more durable you can use vinyl flooring. Using the smooth back side towards the camera, you can paint it any color that you like. And it's easy to touch up at any time. You can get 10' or 12' wide rolls in almost any length, and it's relatively cheap and lasts forever.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #4
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Craig,
I used the same roll of 9' paper for 10 years before I ran out.
An old buddy, Ken Porter taught me this trick...works like magic.

Use white paper for the background, but not for the floor.
Put down two peices of 4x8' white tileboard for the floor. Tuck the paper under in back.

Find it at Home Depot or Lowes for $10 a sheet. Lasts forever, easy to store.
Creates a cool reflection in front of the subject.

Paper doesn't get trampled, so it lasts alot longer.
When your done with it, roll up the paper, store the tileboard.

Seems don't show when you light it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hikey1.jpg (63.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg hikey2.jpg (67.2 KB, 194 views)
Old 07-03-2007   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 189
Editing OK?: Ask first

You could also get a sheet of plexi glass. That way you could use it for different color seamless paper.
KingEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 175505

I use a bluescreen paper roll. This way I only need one color ( no need for black or white or any other color ) and replace it in post production to whatever I like, muslin images, 3d backgrounds, scenery images or whatever.

Its a lot more work per image but I like it.
Old 07-03-2007   #7
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingEnigma View Post
You could also get a sheet of plexi glass. That way you could use it for different color seamless paper.
Only problem with Plexiglass is a sheet over 1/8ths thick becomes pretty expensive, mostly for 2 4x8's.

Mark what a great idea, where do you part the seams? Horizontally across the image line, or vertically? I'm guess you have pretty hard and even flooring.
Old 07-03-2007   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Another issue with using plexiglass is that it scratches if you look at it the wrong way. Plexi has a very delicate surface.

Whether you use plexiglass or the tile board that Mark suggests, they're both shiny and you always have those specular shadows which you might not want.

I'm a commercial photographer.... I don't shoot seniors or retail portraits.... so my experience is probably different than most of the people here but the only time I'm using a white bkgd is for stripping. A plain white background for portraits is just that, a plain background. I'd much rather have some tones and a lighting treatment on the background so the image has some depth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Siblings.jpg (78.2 KB, 169 views)

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #9
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentchau View Post

Mark what a great idea, where do you part the seams? Horizontally across the image line, or vertically? I'm guess you have pretty hard and even flooring.
Horizontally, across the image.

When you put light on it, the line magically dissappears. WILD.
Also, you won't see scratches, marks or other things on the tileboard. You can practically beat it to death before anything shows up on it. No idea why.

My camera room is concrete flooring with carpet.
Old 07-03-2007   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 149

Thanks Guys!

Mark, that tile board is awesome! I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow! My in laws will actually be in and was wanting some portraits of themselves with their new black lab. I was thinking white shirt, jeans and the black lab. Should be pretty easy to pull off. I'll have to post some pics this weekend though.

Craig

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: