canon speedlite 430ex help
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default canon speedlite 430ex help

I am having trouble with my Canon Speedlite 430EX. When I first turn it on and for about 5 minutes after that, it works perfectly and has a fast recycling time. After about 5 minutes the recycling time gets slower and slower. Eventually, I have to wait at least 40 to 50 seconds between shots. Turning it off then back on doesn't help. The only thing that works is if I change the batteries every 5 minutes or so, which is really a pain. I have tried it on my 20D and 30D-same problem.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is it a faulty flash, a problem that can be fixed, or time for an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-24-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: canon speedlite 430ex help

rtscribbs02,
I don't think the flash is faulty, it is you battery that cannot keep up.

Try the following: buy two sets of fresh batteries. Do the thing so that the recycle time is getting slower.

Then put in the new battery set.

If you have again normal performance, you'll know that the batteries cannot keep up.
Old 06-24-2007   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask first

Sounds like a set of old low capacity NiCads to me. I have some 2500mAh NiMh rechargables and they last for ages.
Old 07-02-2007   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Ask First

same here I had some low NiMh batteries (900mAh), just upgraded to 2500 and they shoot longer and have a fast recycle.

C&C and Edits are Welcome!
hypordk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: