Lorek - How much would you pay for that?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 11214
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lorek - How much would you pay for that?

Dear All,

I need your opinion. I have an opportunity to start a micro business in lights and equipments for photographers. I think the value for money for the product is good for beginners and/or for people who can’t/don’t want to put too much money in their already expensive hobby.
The product I want to start with is basically an adjustable 180 Ws light. This is the light I used for the here attached portrait:

As a special offer to promote my project, I would like to offer a “ready to use” set for beginners or for people who need to travel often (i.e. from school to school for portraits).
I am thinking of a bag with:

2 x 180 Ws lights + Synchronisation cable
2 x tripods (stands for the lights)
1 x umbrella
1 x softbox (around 50x70 cm)
1 x set of filters (blue, yellow, red) plus eventually honeycomb grid
1 x snoot

Since I can’t find anything similar in France, I would appreciate if you could tell me if you have seen something similar and for what price.

Knowing that just a Speedlite 580EX cost around €450 I would like to sell my kit around €500 (maybe a bit less) as a special offer to launch my business. Do you think it is reasonable? Of course it is not Bowens quality but it does the job and again, I think it is good to start some studio work or to travel with it because it is very light.

Your feedback will be appreciated

My website: www.lorekstudio.com
My email: lorekphoto@hotmail.com

EOS 7D + 24-70mm 2.8 + 70-200mm 2.8 + 100 mm 2.8 macro + 15 mm 2.8
Lorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Default Re: Lorek - How much would you pay for that?

Lorek,

We really need to see the control panel for the lights to see the various features to be able to offer a value for them. A Norman 200B just has three settings, 200,100 and 50, or full stops. The Ultra by White Lightening has 5 stops in stepless increments via a sliding scale, so it is a much more valuable light. It also has a built in slave triggrer, modeling light with variable control, etc.

I wouldn't base my price on what one 580 costs but two. "Here are two more versatile/powerful lights with modeling capability for only X dollars more than two battery powered on camera flashes."
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #3
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Lorek,

We really need to see the control panel for the lights to see the various features to be able to offer a value for them. A Norman 200B just has three settings, 200,100 and 50, or full stops. The Ultra by White Lightening has 5 stops in stepless increments via a sliding scale, so it is a much more valuable light. It also has a built in slave triggrer, modeling light with variable control, etc.

I wouldn't base my price on what one 580 costs but two. "Here are two more versatile/powerful lights with modeling capability for only X dollars more than two battery powered on camera flashes."
Thank you very much for your message. I will send a picture of the control panel as soon as I receive the first kit. Maybe today.
Keep in touch
L

Old 06-22-2007   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2341

Hi, you could try to see how you are positionned against the D-Lite 2 kits from Elinchrom?

ex.
KELVIN
Nicolas

Last edited by nyschulte; 06-22-2007 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: reference in france
nyschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #5
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyschulte View Post
Hi, you could try to see how you are positionned against the D-Lite 2 kits from Elinchrom?

ex.
KELVIN
Nicolas
Thank you for the link! Well I think I am rather good because the D-Lite 2 kits from Elinchrom cost 650€. I am 150 € cheaper with more accessories. The only think it is impossible to compare is the quality of the products. I guess all have the inside Made-In-China. My stuff too but my bulbs are German brand (or Austrian).
Thank you again for your imput

Old 06-25-2007   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2341

My main concern would be continuity in the sense that your system should provide possibilities for growth:

I started with a set of D-Lite 4 (400Ws) one year ago and now i am using 3 of them together with 3 Style 600RX (600Ws) .

A generator on battery power is on order with Ringflash and one 2400Ws head.

All these will use the same accessories!

Only my 2€cents

Nicolas

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: