My Basic Home studio setup and question - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: My Basic Home studio setup and question

TimAndrea,

In a small space like that there is a lot of bounce of light and it will tend to be too soft. So if you want some more snap, use a smaller light source. Since you are using additive Fill(another light) rather than reflective fill, you can adjust the lighting ratio if your shadows are too strong will still having a nice contrast.

You don't want the fill light to have any modeling (sculpting) effect on the subject. So you want a soft uniform light. Since it is on axis to the camera lens, a smaller light could show a specular reflection in the shadows, which would look weird. So a bigger softer light is best as a fill light. Also, since the photog sometimes blocks the light when he takes the picture, the larger light will still have more left to do the job.

If you only have two to work with, make the fill the larger light. Try it and see what results you get and decide for yourself which you prefer.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 1557

thanks for the explanation, i think i learned something today!!
TimAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 676
Default great tips guys

Thanks guys,

I will try both those tips. I have 4 AB800 if I wanted to throw on in as a background light what or how many stops +/- from the main light should it be?

If I ad a gel to it should the stops from the main remane the same?

love this forum
boywonder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

So where's the Karma?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: