One light baby shoot
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default One light baby shoot

Actually just finished and downloaded the shots from this baby shoot.

Here's one of the images...

Single Alien Bee 400, 10 degree grid plus barn doors, black backdrop from Steve Kaeser, and posturpedic pillow for baby to lay on under the backdrop. Two pocketwizards... one on camera and other on bee.

D200
1/30 @ f/3.2
Manual Mode
WB 5600K
ISO 100

small levels adjustment to bring a little more brightness out, but not much. We were going for a moody image.

Julio

Old 06-13-2007   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 451
Default Re: One light baby shoot

OK, now I need a nap!
Question, why did you put the baby in the top portion of the photo? High side is usually reserved for authority/respect or adult interest isn't it?

I'm not complaining, just curious.

mike
Mike_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #3
F1 Camel

Aren't babies held in high esteem?

Na, this is a single person portrait... I don't know if it's a problem or not for this..I'm not sure if I think so. Anyone else jump in an comment?

Julio
Old 06-14-2007   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7917
Editing OK?: Ask first

Sweet light, beautiful baby, nice composition. If it were mine, I'll crop/clone out the bit of white diaper. It disturbs the peacefulness of the image.
AF Primes: 35/1.8DX, 60/2.8G, 85/1.4, 180/2.8
MF Primes: 20/3.5UD, 28/3.5K, CV40/2, 105/2.5
Zooms: 24-120/4VR, 70-300VR
M4/3 System: Oly e-pl2, 14-42mm, 20/1.7
Uncle Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #5
F1 Camel

You've got a point. Good catch there UF. Diapers are definitely not peaceful. Thank you.

Hey, you know you have a whole thread with 105 posts this morning on dpreview in the lens talk forum wondering where you've gone? LOL I stroll by every now and again there and I tell you, it's still the same flame game and attitudes.

Julio
Old 06-14-2007   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7917
Editing OK?: Ask first

I posted too often and for too long on dpr, and people awarded me some kind of totally undeserved guru status. That made me a target, and it got to the point where I couldn't say "good morning" without someone flaming me, as if I was Ken Rockwell or some other celeb. It took all of the fun out of sharing pics and ideas, so I stopped posting on dpr a few months ago. No more unmoderated sites for me.
AF Primes: 35/1.8DX, 60/2.8G, 85/1.4, 180/2.8
MF Primes: 20/3.5UD, 28/3.5K, CV40/2, 105/2.5
Zooms: 24-120/4VR, 70-300VR
M4/3 System: Oly e-pl2, 14-42mm, 20/1.7
Uncle Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005

Very nice but if possible try to aim the flash at the background and get the reflection, like the light is coming from the back, it will give much more dynamics to the shot.
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #8
F1 Camel

I like that idea. Wouldn't that be best accomplished by a second flash unit and not the primary?

Black muslin isn't a reflective surface. Perhaps black paper would have been better and probably have a little reflective property that I could use...

I guess another option would have been to bounce a second strobe onto a white foamcore held above the infant and accomplish some reflection that way.

Very interesting alternative...

Nikonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: