Lighting Setups for Outdoor Fashion?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 259
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lighting Setups for Outdoor Fashion?

Hello everyone, I am doing modeling photos outside near the docks of my city on the river. There are electric outlets. I have 2 soft boxes, a 5 in 1 42" reflector/diffuser, a 580ex and 480 ex, and a Canon 20D. Does anyone have any ideas how I can arrange all this to get optimum results? Thank you!

If you will it, it is not a fairytale-Theodor Hertzel

Here's my site if you'd like to see some of my work:
http://flickr.com/photos/aarongeller/
aaronevan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Lighting Setups for Outdoor Fashion?

Find out who pays for that electricity and offer to pay them for a few hours worth. If it is city owned check and see if you need a permit. Nothing will kill a session quicker than being arrested for conversion/theft, or being chased off the docks by an angry dock renter.

As to the session, I would use the sunshine (or daylight) as my background and hair light or possibly also a kicker light. Find a good background and use one softbox up high above the camera (bungee cord it down to the dock as wind, softboxes and water can be a deadly combination.) I think I would use butterfly lighting and maybe a reflector on the ground aimed up, picking up some daylight/sunshine. White reflectors work best for sunshine, silver for daylight. K.I.S.S. has always been my motto. You will probably not be able to use a large aperture unless you have some ND filters, or shoot late in the afternoon/early evening, so plan on a fairly sharp background. Bring an assistant to hold the reflectors or anything else. Watch for fly away hair. You may get some spectators and they may make the model nervous (they may make you nervous also!)

Benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 259
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Lighting Setups for Outdoor Fashion?

Thank you so much for the pointers and the advice! Hopefully I will post some images by the end of the week.

If you will it, it is not a fairytale-Theodor Hertzel

Here's my site if you'd like to see some of my work:
http://flickr.com/photos/aarongeller/
aaronevan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: