Flash for Canon MkIII
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 164
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Flash for Canon MkIII

I will miss the on camera flash of my 30D(well, when I finally make it to the top of a waiting list). I have a 580, but it is way too big to carry around. I am looking at a Sunpak 40XIIAFTTL. Does anyone have experience w/ this unit? It is 1/2 the weight of the 580, a lot smaller and does bounce as well a adjustable out put; also a lot cheaper.
Mark

http://markm.zenfolio.com/
MarkMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 83
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Flash for Canon MkIII

If quality is your prime directive, you won't miss the built-in flash. I cannot speak to the Sunpak, as I've never used it, but I will say that the Canon 580ex is a great flash. Not saying 3rd party is never the way to go, but I would be bias toward a flash that was optimized for the Mark III, and that is the Mark II 580. But do look into the Sunpak, as one never knows till they try. Regardless of which you get, I would strongly suggest a flash frame...it makes for better flashing, and it places the flash much higher over the lens axis.

Wedding Hack, 5D's, L primes 14mm through 200, L zooms 16mm through 400.
PavelOlavich is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: