Rec'd new Metz 58 AF-1 for Nikon
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Rec'd new Metz 58 AF-1 for Nikon

This flash is available for Canon as well.

GN 192/58m for ISO 100 (105mm)
GN 138/42m for ISO 100 (50mm)

It has a dot matrix display, very simple to follow and use.
Auto zoom
Really intresting USB interface for updates to firmware down the road.. neat...
The usual built in wide angle diffuser and a small reflector card.

First and foremost, the flash in "A" mode, functions just like the Metz 45 cl-4 digital. Mucho sweet.

I'm still playing with TTL and TTL-BL modes with the D200 to see how the Metz fares compared to the Nikon SB800 and will post images shot with both flash units at same settings later tonight or tomorrow.

The size of this Metz unit is almost exactly the same as the Nikon SB800.

Recycle time on the Metz is a little longer than with the Nikon SB800, but the Nikon has a 5th battery option, which I have mounted on my SB800 units. I'm usually ready in one second to two with the Nikon and with the Metz it's more like 4 seconds with fresh alkalines. I'll test with rechargeables later.

You can use an external battery pack with the Metz and that will run you about $488.00

With the D50, D70, D70s, D200, D2Hs, F6, D2x and Coolpix 8400 and 8800 you will have the following features:
  • Flash ready indicator in camera viewfinder / camera display
  • Correct exposure indicator in camera viewfinder / camera display
  • Underexposure indicator EV in LC display of flash unit
  • Automatic flash sync speed control
  • Automatic fill in flash control
  • i-ttl and iTTL-BL flash mode
  • Flash exposure measurement memory for i-TTL and i-TTL BL
  • Manual TTL/D-TTL/i-TTL flash exposure correction
  • 1st or 2nd curtain sync ability
  • Automatic FP short sync for i-TTL, i-TTL-BL and M
  • Automatic motor zoom control
  • Extended zoom mode
  • Automatic AF measuring beam control
  • Power modes from 1/1 to 1/256th power mode
  • Automatic flash range indicator
  • Programmed auto flash mode
  • preflash for red eye reduction
  • Triggering control / auto flash
  • Wireless remote flash mode (advanced Wireless Remote Flash Mode Lighting)
  • Wake up function for the flash unit.
Assuming you have CPU equipped lenses for some of these functions.

As you go backwards in generations of camera bodies in the Nikon family you lose certain functions of the flash.

You also have a strobe flash mode, which is a cool feature if you want to use it for effect shots.

You can set flash exposure correction manually for up to + or - 3 f/stops.

Beep function!
Beep function signals when the flash is ready, when the correct flash exposure has been reached (after a shot) or when an error occurs. Believe me, you will NOT miss the beep. It's darn loud and lasts two seconds.

A broken _ _ _ beep after a shot indicates the shot was correctly exposed.

A short beep signals an alarm in A mode indicating that the Aperature and ISO settings exceed the permissible light control range. The flash adjusts to the next permissible value.

Extended zoom mode - You might have wondered about this. In extended zoom mode, the focal length of the main reflector is reduced to one level below the focal length of the camera lens, resulting in broader light coverage inside rooms where a softer flash illumination might be possible or preferred.

Flash bracketing is supported.

The zoom mode of the flash is 24-105mm with the WA diffuser pulled out and dropped on the main reflector it takes it to 18mm.

Zoom head positions are 24, 28,35, 50,70, 85 and 105mm

For a lens without a CPU, you have to go to manual adjustment.

More to come as soon as I've tinkered a little more with the flash.

Julio

Nikonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32
Default Re: Rec'd new Metz 58 AF-1 for Nikon

Julio thank you for this nice long extensive description....now I have lust!! No really thanks a lot. I have been wondering how this compares to the SB800. I have the 45cl-4 and LOVE IT!! I can't wait to see some test shots.
AJW390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #3
F1 Camel

I've done some extensive test shooting around the house at the kids and my wife to test this flash out. It's excellent.

The menu system is straightforward. Default for the wink flash is off. You can turn it on and if it's firing too hot, you have optional settings at 1/1, 1/2 and 1/4 for the wink flash. Very nice feature.

Another excellent feature of the flash is that when the flash is aimed directly at the subject, the flash will give you maximum distance for proper exposure. (Mucho cool) Also, to avoid over exposure, the subject should not be within the first 10% of that distance. So say at ISO 400 and f/3.5 the flash reads 72 ft, then your subject should be at least 7.2 feet away or you may over expose the shot.

The really good news is that "A" mode with this little beauty is so accurate you will wonder why you'd bother using anything else. It's truly excellent.

TTL and TTL-BL modes are available and from what I've tested of it, it's a bit more accurate than the Nikon SB800 flash if the camera is in Program mode. In manual mode, you're best off being in "A" mode or "M", but who wants to be in manual flash mode? Ugh!

Remember if you're bouncing off the ceiling you're going to need to account for the additional distance to the subject when calculating your correct f/stop if you're going by the guide number rule of thumb. f/ = G/d where f/=aperature, d=distance to subject and G = guide number of your flash.

The kids are upset with me for taking so many pictures, but I will be putting the Metz to it's first test tomorrow at a Bar Mitzvah I'm shooting so I'll have some real world examples coming up Sunday.
Old 06-10-2007   #4
F1 Camel

Here's a shot from a Bat Mitzvah last night using the Metz.
ISO 400
WB Auto
Flash on Auto mode
Metz 45 CL-4
Nikon D200
Manual mode
1/80 @ f/5.6
40mm
Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S
ISO 400
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JMSG53120070876As600x400.jpg (110.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-10-2007   #5
dgs
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 359
Editing OK?: Yes

Did you get a new shoe so you can shoot in auto mode? If so what is the part number, I am thinking about getting this flash unit.

thanks,
Danny
dgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #6
F1 Camel

This was the 45-CL4 Digital. You could plug right into the PC sync port and shoot in auto mode.

Or, for TTL and full functionality you'd need the SCA 3045 module together with the SCA 3402 module and they'd go on the hot shoe. (One mounts into the other to form the complete hot shoe module.

Julio
Old 06-11-2007   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonfreak View Post
I've done some extensive test shooting around the house at the kids and my wife to test this flash out. It's excellent.

The menu system is straightforward. Default for the wink flash is off. You can turn it on and if it's firing too hot, you have optional settings at 1/1, 1/2 and 1/4 for the wink flash. Very nice feature.

Another excellent feature of the flash is that when the flash is aimed directly at the subject, the flash will give you maximum distance for proper exposure. (Mucho cool) Also, to avoid over exposure, the subject should not be within the first 10% of that distance. So say at ISO 400 and f/3.5 the flash reads 72 ft, then your subject should be at least 7.2 feet away or you may over expose the shot.

Awesome report you've got here . As a fellow Nikoner I find this all very interesting. One thing I am wondering tho. I used the Cl-4 (non-digital or course) for medium format and much like yourself I found the A program to be very useful. Metz, however, recommended that the subject be at least 10% distance in relation to the flash's maximum distance, but they also recommend that the subject be in the middle 2/3 of the maximum distance for the best accuracy. So in the case of the values you provided, ideally the subject should be approximately 24-48ft away. Do they follow the same recommendation here or do you find that necessary for this flash?

Sounds like they have quite a few impressive features and thanks again for sharing this information. I've only heard these type of reviews from Canon shooters, so it's nice to see a Nikon perspective.

I like the photo you submitted, with the exception of the flower hat. Maybe moving the girl to one side of the table may have helped.

Thanks again for the info,

John
Old 06-11-2007   #8
F1 Camel

Ya, I caught that ... sometimes you get so into one aspect that you miss something in the heat of things... LOL... nothing like the flowers growing out of her head. Kinda hurts a nice shot but ... mom insisted on a shot in front of the temple doors and I was worried about the flash reflection in the glass so much I didn't realize I was giving her a flower hat. Doh.

For this shot, since I was so close, I went ahead and went 90 degrees and bounced the flash off the ceiling. Where the 45 CL-4 digital really shines is the group shots. OMG... with the 45 CL-4 off camera on a stand and the 58AF-1 I need no other light.

I'll post a few from the formals.
Old 06-11-2007   #9
F1 Camel

Here's another using the Metz 58 AF-1 on Auto mode.

1/30 @ f/6.3
38mm
Nikon D200
Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S
ISO 100

Resized, other than that straight out of the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JMSG53120071094s600x400.jpg (83.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-11-2007   #10
F1 Camel

And for a small group...

1/60 @ f/ 6.3
ISO 100
Metz 45 CL-4 digital set at f 5.6

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: