Rec'd new Metz 58 AF-1 for Nikon - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Rec'd new Metz 58 AF-1 for Nikon

And a collage for you from some other images from Saturday.

The collage was created using Fotofusion by Lumapix.

Julio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miriam Bat Mitzvah1.jpg (121.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-12-2007   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 55

Great work Julio and thanks for sharing these. The collage is a great piece of work and you'll make somebody very happy with it.

John
Old 06-12-2007   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7917
Editing OK?: Ask first

Julio, I've been following this thread, but haven't figured out why you opted for the Metz 58 AF-1 instead of an SB800. The power and price seem very similar. What am I missing?

Quote:
...for TTL and full functionality you'd need the SCA 3045 module together with the SCA 3402 module and they'd go on the hot shoe. (One mounts into the other to form the complete hot shoe module.
It sounds prretty complicated compared to using an SB800.
AF Primes: 35/1.8DX, 60/2.8G, 85/1.4, 180/2.8
MF Primes: 20/3.5UD, 28/3.5K, CV40/2, 105/2.5
Zooms: 24-120/4VR, 70-300VR
M4/3 System: Oly e-pl2, 14-42mm, 20/1.7
Uncle Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 55

I'm on the same level as you Frank. I think the main difference, that I can see anyways, is the wink flash that acts as a fill flash when you are swiveling the main head. I believe it's something that you can either turn on or off. I know using the old 45 CL-4 it's a nice function.

The beep function is cool, but is not overly necessary in my books and I wouldn't want it too loud if I'm shooting a wedding or other event. The recycle time is bit of a let down too.

It seems to me that the "A" mode is touted as being extremely accurate and is a big seller, but I can honestly say that I've never found that to be too much of an issue with the SB-800 which still diplays all the values that you need. I also find that the SB-800 is fantastic in manual mode. The shooting distances displayed on the back of the flash are very accurate.

Personally, I would like to see some controlled test shots in a variety of modes if at all possible Julio.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58314.jpg (36.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-12-2007   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Frank View Post
Julio, I've been following this thread, but haven't figured out why you opted for the Metz 58 AF-1 instead of an SB800. The power and price seem very similar. What am I missing?

It sounds prretty complicated compared to using an SB800.
I have an SB800 already. After last weekend at Disney I really just had blown my stack over the lever lock on the Nikon flash units and their inability to stay properly seated on the hot shoe of the flash.

Take a peek at that and I'm sure you'd understand why I opted to skip packing the SB800 for this Bat Mitzvah and instead opted to bring along the two Metz units.

The Metz 58 AF-1 needs no additional modules. It sits on the camera as is with no modules. The attachments I was referring to are the TTL modules you need to use TTL mode and TTL-BL modes on the Metz 45 CL-4 digital and not the 58 AF-1.

The 58 needs nothing additional and IMO, is much more accurate in "A" mode as well as TTL mode than the Nikon SB800. Truly an excellent flash, albeit with roughly the same power as the SB800. The 45 Cl-4 digital is a whole heck of a lot more power than the SB800 without a doubt. I would have no problem shooting a wedding party with the 45 CL-4 on a lightstand and getting a very nice exposure. Both are superb units.

The wink flash is, indeed, a neat feature. with the 58 AF-1, the really neat part of it is that if you tend to bounce the flash or use one of the ABBC, Fong's lumisphere, the toilet one, or any other bounce card device, you get a little assistance with a nice little flash that you can set to 1/1, 1/2 or 1/4 power anytime the head is tilted in a position other than directly at the subject.

I used two cameras at the Bat Mitzvah. One had the 45 CL-4 digital on it and the other had the 58 AF-1 on it mounted on a CB Junior flash bracket and the SC29 cord.

I'll do some more controlled tests on the flash and post images and pictures of the back of the flash display here, but this week and next week are hectic with portraits for Father's Day and next week I have two concerts to shoot. I have to wrap up preparing the proofs and slide show for the Bat Mitzvah for the clients and I want to have that out and done by Friday.

I did do some testing whereby I set a subject dummy up and put strips of masking tape on the floor in 1ft increments to 18 feet from the subject dummy and test fired frames at the measured distances to meter for accuracy of the flash as well as repeated accuracy at various f/stops. On occasion there was about a 1/3 stop variance here and there but I'm not sure if that was due to recycle not complete (my fault) or the flash's (variance). Unless I was very close to the subject, the flash was extremely accurate in "A" mode and TTL mode was probably on par with what I'd expect from the SB800.

Recycle time of the Metz 58 and 45 CL-4 are, indeed, the only drawbacks that I currently see with using those over the Nikon flash units so the reality is you need to make the shots count or opt for the power packs if you like shooting fast follow up shots.

Julio

Nikonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: