Outdoor lighting kit with safety items
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7917
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Outdoor lighting kit with safety items

I just put the finishing touches on my lightweight outdoor light kit. I added a carry bag (a $20 bag designed to carry baseball bats and balls), and some very important safety gear.

The working part of this minimalist kit consists of one Speedlight, a lightstand, an umbrella, and a flash/umbrella bracket. The safety gear consists of a framing hammer, a 10" tent spike, and a 20" bungy cord.

One of the biggest risks of outdoor shoots with a modifier is the possibility... make that probability... that your umbrella will catch a gust of wind and blow over. Mine did at a recent shoot. Fortunately, the flash wasn't damaged, but umbrellas spokes were badly bent.

Some folks recommend sandbags, but I'm already pretty loaded down. Benji recommended one of these big corkscrews used to hold doggie leashes, but the ground around here is too hard for it to dig in. My variation on his approach is a collared tent spike. As you can see from the label, it's a 79 cent solution!

I use that big framer's hammer to bang the spike down, loop the bungy cord around it underneath the collar, put the lightstand directly over it, and then hook the loops of the bungy cord over the leg assembly.

Here's what the finished assembly looks like. It feels like it's nailed to the ground. Wait! It is nailed to the ground .

------------------------------------
DSLR Cameras: D700, D200,
AF Primes: 35/1.8DX, 60/2.8G, 85/1.4, 180/2.8
MF Primes: 20/3.5UD, 28/3.5K, CV40/2, 105/2.5
Zooms: 24-120/4VR, 70-300VR
M4/3 System: Oly e-pl2, 14-42mm, 20/1.7
Uncle Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 271
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Outdoor lighting kit with safety items

That's a great idea -- I'm going to get a couple of those spikes.

tomrock is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: