questions re:aurora "camray series" studio lights
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default questions re:aurora "camray series" studio lights

hi! greetings from the philippines! i'm new here in this board. great site! i have a question, has anyone already tried the "aurora camray 300" studio lights? this would be my first time to buy a studio light and i want to make sure i'm making the right choice. thanks in advance!

best regards
cleng

Old 02-28-2007   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 93884
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: questions re:aurora "camray series" studio lights

I don't have answer but hang on somebody is bound to show up.
Welcome to Photo Camel
Old 02-28-2007   #3
Alpaca

thanks for the warm welcome. really can't wait for some feedbacks coz i'm very tempted getting a set of these by tom hmmm... if only they sell alien bees here in the philippines
clengster_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591

Sorry, never heard of them. Do you have a link to a website that has info about the lights?
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #5
Alpaca

here's a link for the camray series lights
http://www.alb.co.kr/html/eng/sub_flash_camray.htm
clengster_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Cleng,

These lights are similar to many other Chinese-made monolights sold on Ebay. They may work well or at least fullfill your lighting needs at the moment but how well supported are they in your area ? Can you easily get them repaired ? Can you buy replacement model lamps and flash tubes ? What type of attachments are provided for aftermarket light modifiers such as softboxes, grids, reflectors etc ?

Technically they claim to be 300ws which is not a lot of power especially when used with a softbox, but might be enough for your immediate needs. I don't see a guide number listed. The 100 watt modeling lamp is quite dim and will be very hard to use anywhere except in a very dark room. 200-250watt model lamps are much more usable because you can actually see the light they produce.

A sliding knob for adjusting power seems like a good idea until you realize it's not nearly as repeatable as a simple knob with a click stop. The color balance is rated to be plus or minus 100 degrees Kelvin which is not very precise. Generally these cheaper flashes will produce a bluer light as the power is turned down. This might not be a problem if you are shooting digitally and don't mind adjusting the color on each shot.

I'd suggest you look for a well known brand that is sold and supported in your area. If you could rent first that would be a good idea. Speedotron, ProFoto, balcar, Elinchrome, White Lightning, even Alien Bees would be a much better choice.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #7
Alpaca

hi brooks! thanks for the very informative reply. oh well... i just checked one of the stores that carry these lights and unfortunately it's back ordered and ETA is 3rd week of march so i'll have more time to check out other lights. i tried checking out broncolor and bowens but it's a bit pricey for my budget but i heard a lot of good things with these lights. i think i'll just try to save a bit more and try to get those better lights.

regards
cleng

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: