Another Lighting "Kit" question..
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 97
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Another Lighting "Kit" question..

I am just about to come into a few lights and was wondering what you thought of them... I am an absolute lighting beginner and these are mildly used and new lights. I want them primarily for adding some light when shooting in someone's house and for the occasional event (ie: Party)
The lights are: 1 White Lightening Zap 1000, 1 Studio Pro 150 and 1 Studio Pro 920MDLVP. Both the SP150 and SP920 have softboxes..... and the 150 as has an umbrella.
What do you think of these? Do they work/behave well together? I also own a Nikon D50 with SB-800...... Another question I have... would I use the SB800 on the camera with lights in this setup and if so, what mode and settings would I use? If I don't, how would I trigger the lights when the shutter is pressed?

Thx for putting up with the newbie questions....!!

Old 02-25-2007   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072
Default Re: Another Lighting "Kit" question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto126 View Post
I am just about to come into a few lights and was wondering what you thought of them... I am an absolute lighting beginner and these are mildly used and new lights. I want them primarily for adding some light when shooting in someone's house and for the occasional event (ie: Party)
The lights are: 1 White Lightening Zap 1000, 1 Studio Pro 150 and 1 Studio Pro 920MDLVP. Both the SP150 and SP920 have softboxes..... and the 150 as has an umbrella.
What do you think of these? Do they work/behave well together? I also own a Nikon D50 with SB-800...... Another question I have... would I use the SB800 on the camera with lights in this setup and if so, what mode and settings would I use? If I don't, how would I trigger the lights when the shutter is pressed?

Studio lights are used in manual mode. They dont have any way to work with the Nikon TTL system, so forget that. You set the Nikon camera exposure mode to Manual with them. Set the camera to its sync speed (perhaps 1/250 second) and set the aperture with a flash meter. Not only does the flash meter measure the collective exposure with all lights on (to set the camera exposure), but it also meters each light individually, in order to set the manual level of each light, to set the lighting ratio. Everything is under your own control.

You use a PC cord from camera to one light, and its light triggers the others. You will want the Nikon AS-15 adapter for that (hot shoe to PC cord adapter).

The SB-800 will work fine with them if it is set to its SU-4 mode (manual).
It has an optical sensor too, works the same way then as any other studio light when in SU-4 mode. Wrap a paper nozzle around it to make a snoot for a hair light. The SB-600 does not have either SU-4 mode nor an optical trigger.

Searching google.com for studio lighting is a good place to start to get the idea.
WayneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7917
Editing OK?: Ask first

I use flash for parties/events, and can't figure out how you could slip through the crowd and take snaps if you have gear like a White Lightening Zap 1000, Studio Pro 150 1 Studio Pro 920MDLVP. They're probably terrific in a studio (hence, their names), but unless you have an army of assistants, they're pretty useless for PJ-style event photography.

I use a single sb800 on-camera (sometimes on a flash bracket) with a bounce card. It allows me to be mobile, weave though the crowd, and get shots like these.

AF Primes: 35/1.8DX, 60/2.8G, 85/1.4, 180/2.8
MF Primes: 20/3.5UD, 28/3.5K, CV40/2, 105/2.5
Zooms: 24-120/4VR, 70-300VR
M4/3 System: Oly e-pl2, 14-42mm, 20/1.7
Uncle Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Frank, these are all very nice shots that bring a smile.
Old 02-26-2007   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

Hey UF... What's the bounce card you are using?

I've also found that I like AA mode quite a bit more than TTL or TTL BL on the SB800 as it's more reliable than i-TTL it seems.

Julio
Old 02-26-2007   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7917
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonfreak View Post
Hey UF... What's the bounce card you are using?
I use the bounce card described in Peter Gregg's video - ABetterBounceCard.

ABetterBounceCard.com

------------------------------------
DSLR Cameras: D700, D200,
AF Primes: 35/1.8DX, 60/2.8G, 85/1.4, 180/2.8
MF Primes: 20/3.5UD, 28/3.5K, CV40/2, 105/2.5
Zooms: 24-120/4VR, 70-300VR
M4/3 System: Oly e-pl2, 14-42mm, 20/1.7
Uncle Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: