Lighting with Sigma 500DG
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lighting with Sigma 500DG

Currently my accessory flash is a Sigma 500DG (NOT the super)

It works for me until I can afford to upgrade.

My questions is the "Mh" and the "Ml" on the back of the flash....I know the TTL setting is for automatic metering in the camera, but what are these 2 aparent manual modes for?

There is a setting in the menu of my Nikon D50 for cutting the flash output down to as little as 1/16th but I can't figure out the correlation between that and these modes.

I know what I want to do but can't seem to figure this one out or find a manual on this flash. It is rather easy though, to find a manual for the super.

thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2007   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Default Re: Lighting with Sigma 500DG

The manual modes are "manual high" and "manual low" - full power and I think 1/16 power.
I don't think the 500DG has a built in slave, but any cheap optical slave should do.
If the D50 has the ability to turn off it's iTTL pre-flash then you should be able to trigger the slave flash from the on-camera flash.
Hellbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 19072
Default Re: Lighting with Sigma 500DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj1023 View Post

There is a setting in the menu of my Nikon D50 for cutting the flash output down to as little as 1/16th but I can't figure out the correlation between that and these modes.
The cameras 1/16 power menu only applies to the cameras internal flash, when used.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: