Chinese cheap radio slaves
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Chinese cheap radio slaves

My Chinese cheap radio slaves arrived Friday 23rd February, 10 days for express post from China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Flash-Triggering-For-Nikon-4ch-4-Receiver-y47_W0QQitemZ160086931914QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48515Q QcmdZViewItem

I bought the 4 pack for Canon. The supplied batteries were all dead, except for the transmitter, I was already tipped off on this issue so I had bought in batteries, but at a tenner [Ä10] a pop it was as much as the units themselves which brought the total cost with shipping to Ä100.

The units are extremely flimsy, these are the hotshoe types and Iíve no confidence in them at all. What others say about the knob to rotate the flash is correct and itís nearly impossible to snap the covers back on once the battery has been fitted.

The units do actually work and the range is impressive even through walls. The ďCanonĒ kit has one transmitter and one receiver which only worked with my Canon EX units and the Metz via sync cable.

The other three receivers worked with everything, both my Nikon SB guns and the EX units. If one read the strobist.com site one will know why I am interested in using my old SB guns. With the update to the 580EXII this may no longer be necessary. BTW the older units have a switch for keeping the flash alive all the time, otherwise one must awaken the flash from standby by firing a test shot.

My D100 will fire off all slaves as well, so thatís neat. These units are the hotshoe type so they donít come with the adapters for the standard studio flash. Each receiver has a cable which can plug into an adapter or some older flash heads directly.

So IMO anyone wanting to experiment with radio and find the price of PWs just too much to experiment with, then I can recommend these cheap units.

Old 02-23-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 35
Default Re: Chinese cheap radio slaves

One thing to not do: Don't use it with flash bulb units! You probably wouldn't, but they've been known to be set off by cordless phones and other radio transmissions. Just don't use it with single-use flashes.
Old 02-23-2007   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 79
Post Re: Chinese cheap radio slaves

erm, no I won't be using a flahsbulb! Quickly checks dictionary, Oh yes I just about remember those ...

Yes, in the few minutes I've had them, four lined up with their flashguns and one fired twice ~ apparently on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumious Boojum View Post
One thing to not do: Don't use it with flash bulb units! You probably wouldn't, but they've been known to be set off by cordless phones and other radio transmissions. Just don't use it with single-use flashes.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: