Basic lighting setup
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1688
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Basic lighting setup

I'm looking for advice on a basic lighting setup. I want to start taking photos of people, but I'm pretty ignorant about lighting. I have a constraint that is portability since I will use the setup indoors and outdoors, which means that proper studio setup is probably out of the question (but feel free to convince me otherwise). I currently have a Canon 430EX with a Stofen Omnibounce, which obviously isn't enough. I have ideas in my head that would require at least 1 or 2 other light sources. So I was wondering:
- do you use multiple flashgun setups?
- do you use diffusers?
- can you obtain decent shots without proper studio lighting?

cedric_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Basic lighting setup

have you checked out The Strobist' Lighting 101 yet?
Old 02-20-2007   #3
Bactrian

I have and it's very instructional. The thing is that what he says differs a lot from my experience. I guess I need to experiment a lot more.
Old 02-20-2007   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

I have a 580 and two 430s, two stands, a couple of super clamps, a couple of shoot thru umbrellas, and a a couple of silver bounce umbrellas. This is a very portable kit - it fits in a small gymbag - and is wireless, though it works better indoors than out. The issue is that it's an expensive route. A search through my past threads will show you the results I get with this stuff. If you can do without the wireless, portability, and compactness, a couple of alien bees or a novatron kit would serve you much better.
Old 02-20-2007   #5
Bactrian

Thanks John. Alien bees look like a US thing, so probably out of the question for me (240v and different frequency here). I can't find anyone selling them in the UK.
I have one 430 and an infrared ST-E2 (because that was cheap). That's why I was considering betting another 430. Portability is pretty important because I don't have a studio, so I'll use the kit wherever I need to. I might need to think a bit more about this.
Old 02-21-2007   #6
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449
Editing OK?: Ask First

Just starting out can be intimidating. You may want to consider finding a local camera/photography club. Most of them cover things like studio lighting. We have one locally and we instruct several nights a year on different studio setups. There's nothing like hands-on.

"I'd be cynical if I thought it would help"
www.delucophoto.com
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: