Messy camera room - Help needed?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 20
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Messy camera room - Help needed?

I have a need to change from softbox use to standard reflectors and back again at least once per week. This leads to the undesired situation where I have two or more large softboxes occupying floor space or perched on tables. I am thinking that someone else may also have this problem and have worked out a simple elegant solution that would avoid breaking down the softboxes, while also not taking up horizontal surfaces.

Has any clever person figured out how to make this soft box to reflector and back again swap without making a muddle of their camera room?

Best regards,

Jerry Reed

Old 02-17-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12
Default Re: Messy camera room - Help needed?

hang from wall or ceiling? use hooks.
Darryl_Lessere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

I've seen people working with a ceiling rail system
Old 02-17-2007   #4
Alpaca

Thanks for your suggestions. I have my lights on a ceiling rail system, the BOWENS Hi_Glide. It works quite well. It is when I remove the softboxes from these ceiling mounted lights that I have no good place to put the softboxes.

Jerry Reed
JerryReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591

Do you have a desk or a work table in a corner that has enough room above it to install hooks to hang the softbox from when not in use and still be able to use the desk/table?
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #6
Alpaca

A proposed solution that was given to me, which sound very practical and one that I will move forward with is to fix one end of a BUNGY (sp) cord to the wall where it meets the ceiling, and with the other hook the speed ring that attaches the SB to the strobe (with the face of the SB toward the wall.)

This seems like my best bet , and I appreciate all the other great suggestions.

Jerry Reed
Old 02-25-2007   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Using pulleys, ropes and cleats ou can suspend your assembled softboxes from the ceiling along one wall. Space the pulleys in a row several feet apart, attached to the ceiling and in a line along one wall.

Run the ropes, I use braided sailing line, from the pulleys, along the ceiling to another set of pulleys and then down to the cleats fastened on a board attached to the wall. Use heavy clips on the softbox end of the lines so that the empty lines will lower easily. Clip a softbox to each line and raise it to the ceiling.

Your softboxes are always assembled and ready to go.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

I just hang'em from coated hardware hooks in the ceiling along the back wall.
Old 02-26-2007   #9
Alpaca

Blinky:

What are "coated hardware hooks"?

Jerry Reed
Old 02-26-2007   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Just those big screw in hooks with a plastic coating. You can get lots of different shapes and sizes at a hardware store or Lowes, etc; maybe $2 each. The ones I used have a long shank so it's easy to just lift up the box and hook the speedring.

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: