Messy camera room - Help needed? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Messy camera room - Help needed?

You can find these hooks in any large hardware store. They are approx. 6 inches long and are typically used to hang ladders and large items on the wall.
Lukefoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 1483
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryReed View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I have my lights on a ceiling rail system, the BOWENS Hi_Glide. It works quite well. It is when I remove the softboxes from these ceiling mounted lights that I have no good place to put the softboxes.

Jerry Reed
Jerry, I'm considering the Bowens rail system for my QUADX 3000 lights. How did you go about selecting the pieces you needed? Did you get any help with design or installation?
dwightmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #13
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

I use Calumet's (Bowens) lighting rail system in my studio also. The design and installation is easy.

I have two fixed rails mounted to the rafters ( 13' ceiling) about 10 ft. apart running for 30 ft. from the back to the front of the studio. Attached to them are 3-20' moveable rails which can slide forward or backwards along the fixed rails and move left to right by about 5' in each direction.

3 pantographs with adjustable springs allow one light fixture per floating rail to move to the left or right along the length of the floating rails while the floating rail moves forwards and backwards. With a few extensions on the pantographs the lights can be positoned 11 ft. in the air or 3' off the ground. Different strength springs support the weight of a single strobe head with reflector up to a 13" fresnel spot, optical spot or 5x6' softbox.

Using cable extensions, all of the strobe cables run along the floating rails to the left end of the studio where they connect to power packs which reside on a large moveable cart.

I store my assembled softboxes at the left wall/ceiling junction using pulleys and cables which tie off on cleats on the left wall. The softboxes are kept high off the ground and out of the way and are easily lowered when needed. They're always out of the way and still readily available because they're always assembled..

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #14
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064

alienbee soft boxes break down and install really quick once you get used to it, I heard it gets easier as cost goes up. Maybe get used to just breaking the softboxes down?
Old 07-09-2007   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

The Chimera softboxes that I use are easy to set-up and take down. It's stil faster and more convenient to have them already assembled.

Leaving them assembled also allows the front screens to smooth out and lose any wrinkles which they might have accumulated. A smooth front screen doesn't matter much for portraits or people shots but it's very important when shooting reflective surfaces or products.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #16
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
The Chimera softboxes that I use are easy to set-up and take down. It's stil faster and more convenient to have them already assembled.

Leaving them assembled also allows the front screens to smooth out and lose any wrinkles which they might have accumulated. A smooth front screen doesn't matter much for portraits or people shots but it's very important when shooting reflective surfaces or products.
Very good point. I don't do as much of that type of photography so I wouldn't of guessed it.

trentchau is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: