Light placement
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Light placement

Today I began what I suspect will be a long learning curve regarding light placement. My goal is to get results that will not grab the untrained eye (obviously a practiced photographer will see through anything I do) making it obvious that the effect was not found in nature. Below are two examples. I'm relatively happy with the clothes dryer (except for the lack of face in the pose) but feel the quilt shot needs more help. Suggestions appreciated.

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Light placement

In the traditional classical Monte clothes-dryer portrait, the filter is hidden by the subject's head and the main light is to the left. Socks are placed to the right and underwear is either worn on the head or not at all.

Your camera seems to be placed in order to accent the socked feet, so I will assume this is a Hanes commercial shot. Therefore you are given artistic license to freely break the rules.

deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Light placement

the dryer shot looks great, but you need to somehow flag off the light hitting the door jam from inside the dryer.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: