Placing AlienBees order what you think?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 676
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Placing AlienBees order what you think?

Well, after long research, and reading reviews on all lighting. i am going to order AB tomrrow. I like to know what you guys think. I am shooting glamour, and nude photography. I have been using other peoples lights, and strobes till now.

Order from AlienBees:
---------------------
3 - AB800s $839.85
2 - AB Speed Rings $59.90
20 Gels $48.95
1 - Light Stand $39.95
--------
Total $988.65
-10% Student $889.78

B&H Order
---------------
1 - Photoflex Q39 (med) S/B $86.95
1 - Photoflex Q39 (lrg) S/B $123.95
2 - Impact Air Cush Heavy Duty Stand 9.5' rated 22lbs $77.90
--------
Total: $288.80

Grand Total: $1178.58

I went with Photoflex for relaibilty, and quality. Is this setup a good list to order for starting with my own equipment. I already have 2 Pocket Wizards Pluss II.

Love to hear your input or changes......

Old 02-06-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12
Default Re: Placing AlienBees order what you think?

Couple suggestions based on your list - while good - and will certainly throw a lot of light - it's the quality of light and control that matters when doing glam and nudes. I use their dish along with their boom arm for butterfly lighting setups myself. I throw the diffusion sock on there, wrap the core in bubble wrap and gel it with a bastard amber. You just cut a 4 inch wide strip and tape it off.

Add a couple of grids and their lightmod frames and you are set.

This is just me - some people love the look of a dish and some don't:

If it was me doing the list:

1 AB 800 [main]
2 AB 400 [Fill, BG or rim lights - double as hairlights] - save a buck. You do not need 3 x 800's. If budget it not terribly pressing - go for it.

1 Heavy duty stand - get the casters too - this is for your your main. 800 goes on here.
2 smaller stands of whatever type you like for your fill, bg,rim,hair - whatever. the 400's go on these.
2 small brollies or your photoflex softboxes if budget allows. 2 grids and 2 lightmod frames.
Gels: In addition to whatever you have planned: You want this for gelling your mains for that "golden glow" natural sunlight effect.

Light: For fair skin tones
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Medium: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Dark: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Hit a lighting store or home depot. Get a 100w bulb for the 800 and 50 watt bulbs for the 400's. By default they ship with same modeling lamps from AB.

This will give you a nice flexible starting kit for the most common setups. Add a couple reflectors and get a bunch of those big alligator clips and you will not find yourself wanting for much to start with.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.

Darryl
Darryl_Lessere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449

I would never try to talk anyone out of Alien Bee's but you don't need all this to do Glamour. 3 AB 800's may be a bit overkill. Buy what you can afford and apparently you can afford this. I would concentrate on learning the techniques before sinking alot of money into equipment. You can do Glamour by shooting a camera strobe into an umbrella.

I personally have two AB 800's and shoot a four light setup. The other two lights are manual camera strobes (background and hair lights). Plenty of power for any portrait setup, glamour included. The camera strobes are set to minimal power settings so I get immediate recycling and can shoot all day with four AA's.

It's difficult to respond as you "need" very little. But you "want" alot. I could support another career on the equipment I purchased that I didn't neet.
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #4
Bactrian

I forgot to mention that AB has very reasonably priced softboxes and they all come with adapter rings. Their Brolly's are an excellent value also. I have one of their Brolly's and one of their 30x60 softbox.
Old 02-08-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 676

Ok, so maybe I will change the order a little. Get 2 AB800 and One AB400. I wanted to get photoflex, cause I hear the AB softboxs are not built as well, and I will be taking and seting up all the the time, and moving locations.
boywonder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #6
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder27
cause I hear the AB softboxs are not built as well, and I will be taking and seting up all the the time, and moving locations.
That could be. I have had Photoflex soft boxes and they were VERY well made. I agree that if you are doing alot of assembly/breaking down this is a good decision
Old 02-08-2007   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

People feel that Chimera is better than photoflex, it also cost more. Are the AB speedrings going to work for the photoflex SB?
Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 42

You might try the Photek Softlighters II, and you wont need the speedrings,I use them with my A/Bs and love them for my Glamour work! i packed up my softboxs!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: