AlienBees set up for glamour photography? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007   #21
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: AlienBees set up for glamour photography?

Lee,

That is the interesting part. I am virtually never alone when I am photographing anyone (especially women) but the make-up artist had another appointment and excused herself (leaving me with my female assistant) then a little later my assistant said she was not feeling well and after visiting the restroom laid down on a couch in another part of the building and fell asleep. That left just the two of us! What a receipe for disaster that could have been. However being the respected business man and gentleman I am (yeah, right) I told the client if she felt uncomfortable she could cancel until later and I would understand. She said "I'm here, the make-up is done, the time is set aside, so let's do it."

I had enough senses about me to resist (in other words my wife would have killed me!!!!)

Ben
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji
About 15 years ago, I had an exceptionally beautiful woman approach me and asked me to shoot some nudes for her new husband, so I agreed. During the shoot I was quite proud that I was able to stay detached from what was going on, that is until she laid down and looked seductively up at me with her "come hither" eyes. I was shocked and surprised at what my mind was screaming at me to do. I ended the session after that shot (I was also at the end of the roll of film, and I DIDN'T reload the camera!) I haven't done another nude since.
Interesting story. I find it especially interesting since you were shooting the photos for her to give to her new husband. Did it occur to you that the "look" might have been for him via the photo instead of for you in particular? Personally, I'd have just encouraged her a little more to capture the look!
Old 01-26-2007   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 676
Editing OK?: Ask First

First: I do find shooting glamour and nude to be a real challenge, and thats why I like it. The girls I have shot were great looking, but I was more interested in geting the shot. I am always professional, if I want to pick p a girl, I'll goto a club or something. These are people who will reference you in your work.

Second: I talked to a lighting guy from Samy's Camera in Los Angeles. He just ripped on AB and Speedotron, they sell speedotron. He says they are not good lighting, and my money would be wasted. I should go for a Hensel kit 2 lights at $1400. A dyna-lite or something said is best but power packs alone are $$$$. So know I am stuck, on what to do? I do not want to waste money. He said AB and Speedtron lights will give poor results in Digital.
boywonder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #24
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 81

Quote:
Nude photography sounds so exciting, but very few women actually want to be photographed that way (especially since you are a man) and if you think you have problems making clothed women look good, wait until they are nude. Clothes hide all of those "little" things women hate like stretch marks, bulges, rolls of fat, birthmarks, scars, differently sized breasts, moles, wrinkles and a host of other things. Not to mention, if you are a typical red blooded male who has a nude female looking seductively at you, I hope you can resist the temptation to "sample the wares" (not to mention the bulge you may have of your own!)

Benji

Benji
Dang Benji!!! the guy asks about lighting info and you discourage the poor guy!
Shame Shame know your name! and you have such great knowledge with lighting to share!!!!
fantasiesimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #25
Bactrian

go with the three light set up if you can afford it to start, hell Im still using it!!!
you wont be disappointed in the Alien Bees..
but I might suggest you keep some fresh wetnaps in the studio incase you get excited during a shoot!

Old 01-26-2007   #26
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115

I have used a B800 at a wedding and a wedding reception having made prints up to 16x20 without any issues.

Generally any sales person who tears down equipment, whether their own or someone else's, I avoid. Its one thing to talk up your equipment and point out features or price differences. To call something junk and not offer hard facts why is another.

The people I know who have purchased AB lights are very satisfied with their systems. AB are a cost effective start solution for someone beginning portrait photography.

Good luck,

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder27
First: I do find shooting glamour and nude to be a real challenge, and thats why I like it. The girls I have shot were great looking, but I was more interested in geting the shot. I am always professional, if I want to pick p a girl, I'll goto a club or something. These are people who will reference you in your work.

Second: I talked to a lighting guy from Samy's Camera in Los Angeles. He just ripped on AB and Speedotron, they sell speedotron. He says they are not good lighting, and my money would be wasted. I should go for a Hensel kit 2 lights at $1400. A dyna-lite or something said is best but power packs alone are $$$$. So know I am stuck, on what to do? I do not want to waste money. He said AB and Speedtron lights will give poor results in Digital.

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #27
Bactrian

Quote:
Nude photography sounds so exciting, but very few women actually want to be photographed that way (especially since you are a man) and if you think you have problems making clothed women look good, wait until they are nude. Clothes hide all of those "little" things women hate like stretch marks, bulges, rolls of fat, birthmarks, scars, differently sized breasts, moles, wrinkles and a host of other things. Not to mention, if you are a typical red blooded male who has a nude female looking seductively at you, I hope you can resist the temptation to "sample the wares" (not to mention the bulge you may have of your own!)

Benji

Benji
Actually I'm rather offended by this reaction.....I get the jist we are all perverts who shoot glamour/erotic
I for one, can honestly say I've never sported wood, sprung a chub or popped a boner during a nude shoot. and to discourage the guy because you cant control your urges. really urks me!!
I dont think Ive ever seen anyone come outta the glamour forum and discourage anyone from shooting portraits because they had urges they couldnt control....geeeze Benji!!!! give us a break!!!!!!!

Don.
Old 01-26-2007   #28
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder27

After hearing crap like that I would run away from Samy's... what bull shit! I suggest that it is that he makes a bigger commission off of Hensel, and he makes no commission off of AB.

I shoot Speedotron. I know a great number of photographers who shoot AB, and Hensel, and Dynalight, and Profoto. They all work. Your Digital camara doesn't care where the light comes from.

What a jerk.

grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #29
Bactrian

lol back to that again!!!! flippin Hensels.....I've had my alien bees for over a year now..no problems what so ever.
thier customer service cant be beat, We all read that great debate about the Bee's VS Hensel on that other forum and it went no where fast, there are plenty of pro's using AB's and Plenty using Hensels, I'd suggest if you have doubts call AB's they'll be glad to talk to you and answer all your questions... Now that said, if Hensel gave me lights for free, to plug for them, you bet I'd use them and love them, do I see a need to spend that much more money on lights? not at all!
But dont listen to some sales man or a photographer that gets the lights for free!!

Don.
Old 01-26-2007   #30
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 676

Hey thanks guys! I will order 3 lights on Monday from AB's. I get 10% student discount.

Were is a good place online to get: Stands, and Large softbox that wont break the bank?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: