Next step in lighting
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 816
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Next step in lighting

Currently I have a D70 with an SB600 speedlight with one of the extension cables (SC-29 I think). I also have an older SB24 that was used with my older film camera. Like many people here I am wanting to go the next level with my lighting. I have a couple of Lumiquest bounce and diffusers.
In my shoots I have used both the extension cable as well as the wireless feature. I can see the extra depth and detail multple lights gives you. Once I got to shoot with another Camel member (Thanx Dan) and his setup. At this time I cannot justify spending that kind of money but still want to expand my capabilities. On to my question; Would I be throwing money away by purchasing an SB800 to give me a little more power, and adding some lightstands & umbrellas or boxes. Another thing is there a softbox that would work with the SB800?? I realize the stands could be reutilized with a set of strobes I may buy in the future. What would be the best investment for my dollar? Any specific item suggestions are appreciated as I have ZERO experience with different stands and such.

Old 01-23-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Next step in lighting

A little light reading http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html one of the better blogs on lighting around.

Glenn
grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Next step in lighting

I demonstrated a "Poor Man's Lighting" setup at a camera club some months ago, using camera strobes for main, fill, background and hair. It works fine. I would purchase some umbrella's with removable black backing. You can shoot thru them with the cover off and get the softbox look with it. You can fire them wirelessly with optical slaves or the built in infrared if you have that feature. If you do want to invest in a softbox that will work with camera strobe, take a look at the Wescott Halo.

The SB800 is an excellent flash but pricey. If you use the features, then it's worth it. Also, when you do move up to studio lights (and I suspect that you will eventually), the SB800 will work well in other applications.

"I'd be cynical if I thought it would help"
www.delucophoto.com
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: