Painting nude body with light, how to do it?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Painting nude body with light, how to do it?

Hello all,

I have a chance to try out nude photography and would be very interested to shoot it in a way that everything is dark, but a light paints the body. Below is a sample of what I want to do:

Can someone tell me how this type of photography is achieved? Obviously I need a dark backdrop.

I do have Canon EOS 350D, big reflector and a 60x60cm softbox. How do I position the softbox relative to the model? What shutter speed/aperture should I set?

Thanks for your help in advance!

My chroma key green screen extraction tutorial e-book
artur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16
Default Re: Painting nude body with light, how to do it?

To me, that looks like two lights, one either side of the model and perhaps slightly behind. From the falloff and the hard shadows I'd guess it's direct light, probably with a honeycomb, although hopefully someone with more experience will comment!

If you want to do this yourself, your best best is a dark room with a black backdrop. Set the softbox up to the side of the model and slightly behind, and the reflector on the other side of her, as close as you can get it (so it reflects as much light as possible).

Assuming you're using strobes, set the shutter speed to your flash sync (say 1/100th of a second), then vary the aperture up and down as you take test shots until it looks okay.

If you're using continuous lighting, you should be able to use the internal metering on the camera to set your exposure.

Cheers,

Tim.

timjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

Two softboxes with grids will do this easily.
Old 01-17-2007   #4
E
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 822995
Editing OK?: Yes

I took a figurative class a while back and we placed the lights on either side of the model. One directly off her left arm and the other directly off the right. This gave some nice effects, but not like you see in the sample posted. I'd guess that in order to do like in the sample you'd have to have enough room to get the model away from the back drop then angle the lights so that most of it falls behind her with just a small portion kissing her body.
Old 01-17-2007   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591

That's where the grids come into play. You also need to have the lights as close to the subject as possible without being in the photograph so that the light falls off quickly (both on the contours of the subject and on the background). Broad light sources like an umbrella or a large softbox without a grid will make this difficult. Strip lights (12" x 42" or so) with grids will do well for this.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

If I understand your question correctly, then you really need to use "hot lights," for painting the nude form.

All the responses are telling your how to "flash" the body with softboxes, etc. (Which are correct, btw) But is it "painting?"

"Painting with light," are long exposures while you walk around the subject and using a light bulb in a reflector and exposing over parts of the body.
marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591

We really need the original question asker to come back and clarify. The title asks about painting with light. But the sample image wasn't done that way. I was trying to explain how to recreate the sample image.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

That sample photograph is not "painting with light". It's just simple rim lighting. As John said, softboxes or strip lights with grids or used with large flags to contain the light to a thin area of the subject. Often the lights are placed almost behind the sides of the subject for this effect.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

I ran across the video and this is the REAL paint your subject with light tutor. Enjoy. Looks like it might be fun to do.

http://www.simplephotolife.com/simpl...e=&category=mr
marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 155444
Editing OK?: No

Controlling the light to expose only certain parts of your subject.
The idea of painting with light can be achieved in different ways. The video where the light was
controlled with a flash light in a dark room is one of those ways. You would not necessarily need
a dark backdrop as long as the room itself is dark.* Your soft box probably isn't the right tool to
get the results you want as it is too wide.* I have seen similar results from using strip light boxes
which are more narrow but long in shape.* Small snoots and grids can be put used to light smaller
portions of the subject if you would rather use strobes.* If you only wanted to light your subject
around the edges where it would look like a rim light was used, that would still be controlling your
light to do what you want to achieve.

Some told you that you have a right to your opinion. Others said you have a right to know the facts. A few others said you have a right to remain silent. Two questions. (1) Do you know the difference between your opinions and the facts? (2) How often does someone have to tell you to shut up?
Artforms is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: