New Toys!!!!!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 5960
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default New Toys!!!!!

Yanked my daughter away from the computer to test the new Alien Bees.... Out of the box for about 20 minutes.

Old 01-08-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: New Toys!!!!!

Focus should be on her eye not her ear?

If you plan on doing a lot of studio work, learn how to move your focus from your shutter button to another button ( canon and nikon both do this)

grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591

Great start with the lights. How many heads did you get? Umbrella? Softbox?
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #4
Vicuna

An 800 and a 400. Big softbox on the big one from the obvious direction. 32 inch umbrella on the small one over her left shoulder. I was surprised how heavy the softbox was once I got it all together and went to hang it on the flash (there must be a better way of doing that).
Old 01-10-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsphoto

If you plan on doing a lot of studio work, learn how to move your focus from your shutter button to another button ( canon and nikon both do this)

what would be the difference in moving the focus from shutter release button to another one? wouldn't it be easier dealing with only one button (focus, lock on it and finish the push to take the pic)?

Just curious as I've never heard of this before, but then again I am fairly new and been accused of being very sheltered.
craigsexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #6
Vicuna

The Canon 20D has 9 autofocus points. In Automatic AF point selection, the camera's computer will select what it feels is the best focus point. If you go into a mode that lets you select Manual AF point selection, the small directional button near your right thumb (kind of like a joystick without the stick) allows you to choose which focus point is used to determine the focus.
I use this often for weddings, but like I said.... this was a quick test of some new lights.....
Old 01-11-2007   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsexton
what would be the difference in moving the focus from shutter release button to another one? wouldn't it be easier dealing with only one button (focus, lock on it and finish the push to take the pic)?
In Studio, you are working with low light situation, so sometimes you have focus hunt, which really slows down the process and breaks the rhythm. If you work on getting the critical focus once, and then shoot several shots without having to refocus each time, the session can flow better.

I hate missing that "magic" moment because the camera decided to refocus.

The other issue is your focus point might not line up with a camera focus point. When working with a tripod it is a pain to have to refocus and then recompose for every shot.

Depending on the session, I may go 10 to 15 shots between checking my focus.

Glenn

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: