Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007   #1
E
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 822995
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest

After much debate with my pocket book I decided to purchase one of Gary Fong's Light Spheres, the clear one. Since the question has been asked in the past about how the LS compares with Stofen and Lumiquest I did a quick and easy test of the three. I used a light backdrop so the shadows would show better.

The subject is seated 3 feet from the backdrop and the camera is 12 feet from the subject.

Camera is a Canon 30D
Lens is a 28-70 L-series set zoomed to 36 mm
Manual exposure
F-6.3
Shutter speed 1/125
Flash - Canon 580EX set to ETTL set to +2/3'rds of s stop and I feel that gives me a better histogram

I did do some PS adjustment, a defog/unsharp mask, bumped up the level slightly equally on each shot, and then resized for posting. the exact same setting on all samples.

So here it is for y'all to evaluate and decide for yourselfs.

This first shot is straight on flash - no modifiers at all

Old 01-07-2007   #2
E
F1 Camel

Default Re: Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest

Here we have the test shot with the lifhtr sphere in use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash_test_2.jpg (94.2 KB, 944 views)
Old 01-07-2007   #3
E
F1 Camel

Here we have the Stofen. According to their directions they say to never shoot straight on so the flash is angled at 45 degrees. However if you are using a flahs bracket I've found that shooting straight on is the case.

In all of these test shots the flash was mounted on the camera and the camera in portrait mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash_test_3.jpg (93.0 KB, 933 views)
Old 01-07-2007   #4
E
F1 Camel

Here we have the bounce off of the celeing. When Fong does his sample shot with the bonce flash he points the flash straight up. He either has no clue how bounce works - the light bounces off at the same angle that it hits the surface at - or he is trying to manipulate his results. Since he is trying to market his device I suspect he mis-handles his bounce on purpose to get poor results. On this shot I've aimed the flash about about 6 feet in front of the subject.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash_test_4.jpg (87.9 KB, 926 views)
Old 01-07-2007   #5
E
F1 Camel

As per Fongs "style" I pointed the flash straight up for this "bounce" test just to compare results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash_test_5.jpg (93.4 KB, 925 views)
Old 01-07-2007   #6
E
F1 Camel

And finally we have the Lumiquest test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash_test_6.jpg (110.0 KB, 931 views)
Old 01-07-2007   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First

What is it about #4 that you like better than #5 other than exposure which could have been compenstated to even out the test? The Lumiquest shot looks like a crop from a horizontal because of the position of the shadow being quite different from the others. How do you explain this result?
Old 01-07-2007   #8
E
F1 Camel

Good eye Mr. Smith. Yes the Lumiquest shot was done in landscape mode. I forgot that little detail on my original postings. I needed to re-orient the camera with this device because of it's design. The model I have is a 45 degree bounce with a translucent panel in the front. this requires the flash to be pointed straight up. Leaving the camera in portrait orientation would have the have the flash pointed off to the side instead of up as it was in all other shots. Clear??

As for the difference between 4 and 5, I'm leaving that judgment up to the viewers, but good question. I do feel that Mr. Fong in his samples is too close to the subject, at least closer than I am to mine, to use the bounce flash at the "angle" he does. Thus he gets the raccoon eyes that I don't.

One thing people need to keep in mind is that you may not always be in a location where you can use bounce.
Old 01-07-2007   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Not having a Light Spear I have no opinion on using it. For general flash use I use a LumiQuest Pro Max system and have been quite pleased. My Stofens is used when I am doing (translate that to learning) Macro. I've used the LumiQuest Ultra pocket bouncer which sounds like what you are describing and I found it gives more pleasing results in tighter shots.

It would be nice to know exactly which LumiQuest you were testing as they make a wide varity of products.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

You should add a 3x5" note card, and an "ABBC" to the test.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: