Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007   #31
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest

I wasn't aware you could get it anywhere other than direct from Gary Fong so I have no idea. It comes in 4 sizes I believe are you sure you got the right one? Just asking. Also is the lightsphere popping off the flash or is the dome popping off the lightsphere? I can't really tell for sure from your comment. In either case I wouldn't be happy about it. I think after I sent it back once I'd have made myself a ABBC and called it a day

jfeenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #32
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfeenin
I wasn't aware you could get it anywhere other than direct from Gary Fong so I have no idea.* It comes in 4 sizes I believe are you sure you got the right one?* Just asking.* Also is the lightsphere popping off the flash or is the dome popping off the lightsphere? I can't really tell for sure from your comment.* In either case I wouldn't be happy about it.* I think after I sent it back once I'd have made myself a ABBC and called it a day
Sorry, it's the dome popping off the LightSphere. Quite aggravating given the price and the fact that the margarine folks can make a plastic tub on which the top will fit better!
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #33
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yancey
Sorry, it's the dome popping off the LightSphere. Quite aggravating given the price and the fact that the margarine folks can make a plastic tub on which the top will fit better!
I suppose you are just venting frustration and not seriously interested in home made diffusers but if you are:

There is a big trade off in diffusers either commercial or homemade. That is size vs. weight. Best results will come with a larger diffuser since the more surface you have, the more diffuse will be the light. However, there comes a point that the diffuser is heavy enough that it is hard to keep in place on the flash or where it causes to flash head to rotate when you don't want it to. As a result, the better choices will need to be built a bit less like a tank than will survive the rigours of shipping and storage in a camera bag. Different brands approach this fact in different ways. I wasted a whole dollar buying a nice food storage container and made a very good diffuser which worked well but was way too heavy to use in any sort of heavy action. Others waste a bit more discovering the shortcomings of several brands of commercial products. The fact remains that what we want is something light as a feather and built like a tank that diffuses like a meter hexagonal softbox. I'm on at least my twelth homemade version now and every one teaches me something about the subject that keeps me from being tempted to buy any of the commercial models. I'll repeat my long standing opinion: Any diffuser is better than no diffuser and no one type of diffuser is the answer to all our needs. Enjoy the search.

Meanwhile ABBC, bubble wrap and plastic bottles are better than half the commercial products. Just an opinion....

Old 01-17-2007   #34
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 73

I have used the LightSphere with good results, but look here:

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

Watch the video.

This little system has produced the best results for me than anything I have tired.

I bought the device because of the work the owner did getting it all together, but I have made about six of them myself. You can get the material from WalMart in their hobby department. I sewed velcro to the bottom of the material to secure it to the flash.

Wil
CaptnWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #35
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yancey
Anyone else have one and experienced same problems? Is there a known manufacturing flaw?
...I am not aware of any known manufacturing flaw: mine stays in my backpack when not in use, and then becomes pretty 'flat' :O

If/when needed I take it out, snap it on my 580ex (with both hands) and snap the lid dome on, again with both hands.

The lid Dome makes the Sphere round again, and is a tight fit, (that's why both hands are needed ), but when it snaps on, it snaps on.

Mine has never snapped off unvoluntarily, so I guess I am a happier snapper than you

...if you truly like the effect, exchange it again, otherwise exchange it for another type of Tupperware lightmodifier

...hope this helps some, *my* 0.02 worth...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

PS: I do actually like it... ...the LSII, that is

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #36
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnWil View Post
I have used the LightSphere with good results, but look here:

ABetterBounceCard.com

Watch the video.

This little system has produced the best results for me than anything I have tired.

I bought the device because of the work the owner did getting it all together, but I have made about six of them myself. You can get the material from WalMart in their hobby department. I sewed velcro to the bottom of the material to secure it to the flash.

Wil
Interesting video Wil. Thanks for sharing this.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: