Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007   #21
E
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 822995
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest

"Fong is deceitful..."
This is why I menitoned his mis-use of bounce flash. Also he claims to be retired, but he is simply no longer working as a photographer. He now has a career in marketing his gadgets and knowledge. Be that as it is, I still needed some kind of gadget for on camera flash so decided to give it a go. I was never totally please with the L-Quest or the Stofen but were better than nothing.

Between #2 and #4 - #2 is with the "FongHat" (like that term) and #4 is the bounced. Of the 3 different light modifiers I used I like the FongHat the best (as in photo #2). #4 is fine for bounce flash off of my normal living room ceiling height, but if you are in a situation with very high ceilings then you have nothing to bounce off of so a light modifier is ideal - Home made, 3x5 card or what ever you prefer.
Old 01-13-2007   #22
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First

Just ran across this on another forum. Gotta do food shopping later tonight, I just might look at what this is about!

Quote:
Lighting Technique
Subject* * Simply Orange Sphere
Posted by* * oldphotoguy* [CLICK FOR PROFILE]
Date/Time* * 5:46:30 PM, Saturday, January 13, 2007 (GMT)

Hmmmm!

Just came back food shopping with the wife and we were putting the groceries away, when one of the bags broke. One of the bottles of Orange Juice (brand name Simply Orange) fell on the floor. When I picked it up, (upside down) I looked at it and said to myself "boy, that kinda looks like that LightSphere thingy!"

With a razor knife, you could do some experimenting with it. Even the bottom, when cut properly, looks the top of the Light sphere, (on/off) if set properly.

The plastic bottle, cut and adapted properly, would make the clear version. If you took sandpaper and rubbed it. it would make the cloud version. You could put foil on the back side of it and make that new adapter, that he is selling now.

Me? Gonna wait a while and drink the juice and then maybe experiment with it. Great project for some of you DYI people! (Heck, it's "free!")

Enjoy

marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #23
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805

My current favorite 'cloud' version started life containing White House brand white vinegar. I have a clear made from an apple sauce jar but it is a bit heavier plastic and adds more weight than I'd prefer. Round jars are better (IMHO) since they allow turning sideways easily. I still use my Hunt's BBQ sauce bottle (a clear) in public since it looks less homemade but it is a bit smaller and rectangular.

This puts a new thrill in grocery shopping.
Old 01-13-2007   #24
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924

There are lots of these gadgets floating around, home-made and otherwise.* I haven't tried any of them.* However juist looking this one seem the most interesting and flexible:

http://www.dembflashdiffusers.com/

Anyone have any first hand experience with it?

Cheers/Mike.
Old 01-13-2007   #25
E
F1 Camel

The photo with the L-quest was not actually closer up. The background to subject to camera was the same distance. The focal length of the lens was the same too. What is different is I croped that one some because I had to shoot it in landscape while the others were shot portrait. That is one down fall of the L-Quest whith flash mounted to the camera.
Old 01-16-2007   #26
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by E
Not sure what the "ABBC" is.
See Here: http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,13980.0.html

jfeenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #27
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles
Fong is deceitful
Could you please elaborate? Clearly I have missed something.

Old 01-16-2007   #28
E
F1 Camel

Thanks for the ABBC....I'd not seen that before.

In putting together his demo, Fong is way too close to his subject for bouncing the flash straight up like he does. He claims that bouncing will give you dark eyes. However, the truth is that if you bounce correctly you do not get those dark eyes. In my book he is being deceitful in order to make his product look better. Yeah, I know that this happens all the time in marketing.
Old 01-16-2007   #29
Vicuna

I suppose that's a fine line. All salesman try to make their product show in its best light (no pun intended) while not showing its weaknesses. I expect that and try to make sure I see it. All in all I like the lightsphere, within its limits. However that being said, had I seen the ABBC video before I ordered the lightsphere I probably wouldn't have.

Old 01-16-2007   #30
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1358

I borrowed a LightSphere from a friend and really liked the results. It's not perfect - all the time - but in some situations it was beautiful.

HOWEVER, being enamoured with it, I ordered one from B&H. When it arrived, it looked like someone had stepped on it. Oval shaped rather than round. The dome would not snap into place - appeared to be too small. Called B&H returned the bad one and had them send me another. New one arrived and it was almost same song second verse. I can get the dome on this one but it will not stay and I have to use both hands to get it to snap(I use that term loosely) into place. Undecided about whether to return and forget or try another one. I like the effect but can't cope with the sometimes the dome fits sometimes it doesn't. When I really need it to fit fast, you guessed it - it pops off and I look like an idiot...

Anyone else have one and experienced same problems? Is there a known manufacturing flaw?

Bill

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: