Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Lightsphere VS Stofen VS Lumiquest

Thanks, E, for the explanation.* I have posted before on my experiments with home made diffusers so should not harp on that subject but one thing I learned is that a design that works well for horizontals and a design that does verticals can be very different beasts.* The big problem is that flashes tend to be rectangular.* When you rotate them for bounce in the vertical position the short side ends up facing the subject regardless of the shape of the diffuser so you need more diffuser strength to prevent the side shadow.* The Lightsphere does this pretty well because it is round but there is a greater tendancy to a hot spot in the center of the sphere* with verticals even then.* Fong fans will point out that he makes versions to allow greater or lesser diffusion but detractors will point out that carrying one Lightsphere takes more space than we would like and a pair costs more than some lenses.* For horizontals, I got good service from my barbeque sauce bottle but verticals did better with something rounder and larger like the applesauce bottle shown below.* A later version of this model added a reflective tape strip down the center to even things out a bit. Note the hot spot up the center in this photo taken in a very small room.* The larger the diffuser, generally, the better the side shadow is tamed but carrying around a softbox creates problems of its own.*

Thanks for posting these test results.* I would, however, like to see example shots showing* use in real situations.* I'm not in a position to complain here since I used a teddy bear instead of a real person when I did mine.* For those who missed earlier postings:
http://home.comcast.net/~dougsmit/bounceflashtoys.html
I keep saying I will update this page but currently am hiding behind the fact that Christmas put me behind in several projects. Maybe someday?
Old 01-08-2007   #12
E
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 822995
Editing OK?: Yes

"You should add a 3x5" note card, and an "ABBC" to the test. "

Or you could add them yourself.
Old 01-08-2007   #13
E
F1 Camel

The a now obsolete LumiQuest model that looks to be most like the Ultrasoft (LQ-873D). Basically a sliver card wtih a rectangular shapped soft box around it with the card at a 45 degree angle so you pokjnt the flash straight up and the light bounces outward.
Old 01-08-2007   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by E
"You should add a 3x5" note card, and an "ABBC" to the test. "

Or you could add them yourself.
I was thinking the you could do the exact same set as the first ones for consistency - I won't be able to duplicate your setup. It doesn't make much sense to do a different test of my own, since both are well documented all over the web. I don't have a the same lumiquest thing as you, and I painted my stofen black.
Old 01-08-2007   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

This is a great test...much appreciated, on a subject that I have researched recently myself. My leanings were toward Gary Fong's device. After seeing your test, my inclination is to prefer the Gary Fong LightSphere, but the Lumiquest has me tempted as well. Trouble is I don't know anything about it, and in your photos the pic taken with the Lumiquest is closer up, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Which device do YOU prefer?
Old 01-08-2007   #16
Camel Breath

I prefer #2 and #4. To be honest, I don't see enough difference, other than #4 is underexposed, to warrant purchasing the FongHat.
Old 01-08-2007   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho
I prefer #2 and #4. To be honest, I don't see enough difference, other than #4 is underexposed, to warrant purchasing the FongHat.
I've been burned with the omnibounce, which I bought some time ago and which now sits on my shelf, one of the myriad unused and not-exactly-cheap gadgets that turn out to be less than expected. So I'm real careful about such purchases these days.
Old 01-08-2007   #18
Camel Breath

Me too - mine makes a nice AA battery holder in the bottom of the bag.
Old 01-08-2007   #19
E
F1 Camel

As I mentioned the problem with the L-Quest is that it would only work when the camera is in landscape mode. *In portrait mode the flash would be aimed so the light was coming from the side and not the top. *My flash just would not swivel to allow the camera in port. mode. *

However, you can still see how the lighting is on the face and the type of and direction of any shadows produced when using the L-Quest.

Yeah, I could do the 3x5 test but just to lazy to drag everything out again. *Not sure what the "ABBC" is.
Old 01-08-2007   #20
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Fong is deceitful, so I'm not caring how good his over priced gadget is. After the play session and then the discard, the Fong piece of junk wouldn't even hold batteries as well as the omni bounce in the bottom of the bag.

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: