New to lighting/ need help
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2689
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default New to lighting/ need help

I'm new to studio attempt photography and new to this forum.* I'm hoping to get some feedback on my set up

I just bought this house and until I finish the basement I was hoping to do some studio work.* It is a 1500 sq ft room so the possibilities are endless.* I'm looking at doing full body shots.* I have foamcore nailed to the 8' ceiling for now.* Using a D50 with SB800 attached to camera(waiting for SC-29 cord to arrive soon). Sb600 attached to 42" silver umbrella,* 42" square silver reflector, 32" white umbrella.* Attached to Sb800 I have Lumiquest softbox.* Omnibounce on the SB600.

Biggest question is what type background I should go with?* As you can see I have a queen size bed sheet pinned to the insulted wall.* Wondering if white is easier to work with?

Working with Nikon CSL* system, is there a way to control the SB600 as far as ev is concerned.* I have the SB800 working on the camera as the commander and can control flash level on it but unable to figure out how to change the SB600.* Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 12-06-2006   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2689
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: New to lighting/ need help

Also I've seen some work done with hair lights that I really like. Just wondering what type of bulb is used for this and are they bought solely from camera shops or can they be bought anywhere?
jimD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Adjust the SB-600's power in the same way you control it on the SB-800, except make sure you choose the correct group. The LCD on the SB-800 should be displaying your different light groups: M for Master (the SB-800), and then there are some numbered groups under it. Figure out which one your SB-600 is in, and simply highlight the group and adjust the EV.
Old 12-07-2006   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208

I have never understood why anyone would buy more than one "hot shoe" type D/C powered flash unit for studio shooting. I bought one for my weddings, and it was almost $500.00. I could get about three or four cheap A/C powered flash units to use in the studio for that much momney and they have "nice" things like a modeling light and they are real easy to attach to a light stand. No batteries to replace ever either, and they have gobs of power.

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

For strictly studio work, it doesn't make much sense. But to be able to carry the whole thing in a gym bag to wherever, the portability is great. I have two 430EX and one 580EX, two compact bogen stands, a few umbrellas, bogen super clamps, and some other odds and ends, and I can carry all this in a bag that weighs about 5 lbs. to any destination I feel like. If I were setting up a dedicated studio, I'd be looking at the equipment you mentioned.
Old 03-09-2008   #6
infocusstudio

CamelKarma:

White Lighting Studio Lights are great. Go online to WhiteLighting.com. They have modeling lights and what you see is what you get. Umbrellas or softboxes it's up to you.
Old 03-15-2008   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223
Editing OK?: Yes

Let's get the URL right.

White Lightning: Professional Photographic Flash Units and Accessories : Home Page

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: