PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Lighting Technique (https://photocamel.com/forum/lighting-technique/)
-   -   Flash units (https://photocamel.com/forum/lighting-technique/165675-flash-units.html)

golfer 07-29-2012 03:54 PM

Flash units

I have moved up from a 5D to the new !DX, a big step difference in technologh. I used a 580 ex I flash with that camera and have heard they were not the best flash units on the planet.
I recently looked at the new 600 ex units and wondered if that would provide better results with the !DX or if I might be better off looking toward some ot the Metz flashes.
I am an amature who enjoys all phasess of photography and challenge myself to shoot on a much higher level.
I value your opinions and would appreciate any comments you might have.
Thanks and best wishses.

Sailor Blue 07-29-2012 09:17 PM

Re: Flash units

As I see it the best flash is like the best camera, it is the one you have. Now if you don't have one it is a different matter, more like choosing one of those 32 different flavors of ice cream. You get the one that suits you and your needs best.

Rather than buying a different flash learn how to get the maximum out of what you have, which is already a professional quality flash. Buy and study a copy of Syl Arena's book. It is guaranteed to make you a better flash photographer.

nasoj21 07-29-2012 11:36 PM

The 600 is a better flash, but I don't see why it would give you better results. It is faster and more powerful, but unless you need those two things not necessarily better.

tmvb_p7 07-30-2012 11:20 AM

I keep my 580 as backup and use YN for lightings. I got 5 YN and 2 Canon but I am using YN often and serves me well.

E 07-30-2012 02:06 PM

Can we define what "better" and " not the best" really mean? Those are relative terms so hard to answer the question. The EX580 is a perfectly fine flash and has served many professional photographers for many years. However, that's not to say that a new flash doesn't have different features and technology, it's just a matter of you needing that or not.

golfer 07-30-2012 03:03 PM

Thank you for your help.
I'm afraid I am not able to describe better or best very well. My ability with flash is limited. I use a single flash and Better Beamer to photograph birds, and, I use the 580 and a Sigma to do some amature portrature when someone asks. I also use the 580 for fill flash on occasion.
I'm not flash savvy. so I really don't know how to talk much about it.
Sailor above suggested a book which is helpful, but does not tell me much about the 600 vs. my 580.
I have learned the new Canon 600 is triggered diferently and not compatable with the 580 when using more than 1 flash unit. I also have learned the 580 does at least work on my 1DX with my Better Beemer and fill flash.
That's about all I know at this point.
Anything you might share would, of course, be well received here.
Thanks and best wishes.

jerryph 07-30-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasoj21 (Post 1664247)
The 600 is a better flash, but I don't see why it would give you better results. It is faster and more powerful, but unless you need those two things not necessarily better.

Actually, according to a review from someone that has both the 600 and 580 EXII on the strobist club, it is no more powerful in real life than a 580EXII. It is no faster to recycle, it does have integrated wireless triggering possible though.

If you really want something "more powerful" be ready to spend and go look at something like a Quantum T5D-r or similar.

That said, the strongest light in the world won't make your shots any better if you don't know how to use them.

E 07-30-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfer (Post 1664841)
Thank you for your help.
I'm afraid I am not able to describe better or best very well. My ability with flash is limited. I use a single flash and Better Beamer to photograph birds, and, I use the 580 and a Sigma to do some amature portrature when someone asks. I also use the 580 for fill flash on occasion.
I'm not flash savvy. so I really don't know how to talk much about it.
Sailor above suggested a book which is helpful, but does not tell me much about the 600 vs. my 580.
I have learned the new Canon 600 is triggered diferently and not compatable with the 580 when using more than 1 flash unit. I also have learned the 580 does at least work on my 1DX with my Better Beemer and fill flash.
That's about all I know at this point.
Anything you might share would, of course, be well received here.
Thanks and best wishes.

You've answered your own question there. if your ability is "Limited" and use fill for occasional use and "not flash savvy" then you really don't need a more expensive flash. Why spend the money for something that may or may not serve your purposes better? I'd get more knowledgeable and skillful with the flash you have then you can make a more informed decision on if you need a different flash or not. Right now you don't have that knowledge.

golfer 07-31-2012 09:07 AM

Jerry and E: I couldn't agree with you more on your answer.
My question revolves more around compatability with the 1DX camera than my ability with the flash. I'm completely satisfied to keep learning with what I have if the 1DX will usee them. I really haven't been able to find much help with that compatability issue.
You may have a few thoughts you could share on that.
Thanks much and best wishes.

E 07-31-2012 01:42 PM

Seems odd that any Canon would have an issue with the 580. Can you describe what you are tying to do and what issues come up when doing it?