THE TRUTH ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHIC LIGHTING- new!The Truth About Photographic Lighting An - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012   #31
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHIC LIGHTING- new!The Truth About Photographic Lighting

Simple but powerful and very effective illustration. Thank you.
krikitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #32
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Default Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHIC LIGHTING- new!The Truth About Photographic Lighting

Kriket!

Thanks for that link- it is brilliant. It reminds me of one of my early teachers Adolph (Papa) Fassbender. He stated that in portraiture “everybody (clients) wanted their face to take on the shape of an egg via the lighting. Seems nobody wants to look line a pumpkin or a cucumber with a very round or thin face respectively so the goal is to sculpt the face with lighting that is going to end up with a perfect oval. We spent the better part of a 2 day workshop making pumpkins and honeydews look like eggs in shape. When doing lighting we also discovered the finite use of kickers, hair lights and other corposants of a lighting scheme.

Thanks again.

Ed
Old 12-21-2012   #33
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 352
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thank you for the article. I am a complete novice shooter. Can someone direct me to where a complete novice shooter should begin to learn about lighting? Thank you for your time.
mikeed918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #34
Alpaca

I think maybe I asked for the wrong thing. I need something more basic than lighting. I need a dictionary so I can understand all the jargon/slang that goes on. Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-2012   #35
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes

1st recommendation is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, second is Peterson's follow-up book Understanding Flash.

I will admit, the terms jargon and slang can be confusing at first. Most every sport, hobby, pass time or occupation has a vocabulary of formal terms and an accompaniment of slang. Sometime is's hard to ask questions when the answers lead to more questions.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #36
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

If there is any specific terms you do not understand, I will gladly post somewhat of a glossary for you. Let me know!

Ed
Old 12-29-2012   #37
Alpaca

Thank you both for your time and sharing your knowledge. I will let you know Mr Shapiro if I need clarification of any specific terms.
Thank you again.
Old 12-29-2012   #38
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Here's a link for a pdf file. The lead picture says it all. Hope it helps.

http://www.photocourse.com/itext/glossary/glossary.pdf

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #39
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4772

Wow!!! This thread really hits the mark for me who has determined to learn lighting from the ground up! Thank you so much, Ed, for continually bringing up, presenting, and adding even more clarity/descriptions on such important topics. How you find time for all this astounds me! It is greatly appreciated!!!

Jean

http://jeanhenderson.zenfolio.com
GeekStyle59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #40
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 186457

Ed, you are a true treasure for photographers!

haring is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: