Outdoor studiolight shoot
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 131
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Outdoor studiolight shoot

Hi!
Can you please help me with the basics when it comes to shoot a model outside in day and evening light. I use bowens Esprit Gemini and I have done some test outside but I do not really understand the "thing" and it usually ends up with that I realize that I do it better wothout the flashes. This I do not accept and I am sure I can do it better with my flash light if you can help me wit hthe settings. I have a Sekonic S-308. I think I shall set the mail light 2 stops higher than the ambient light, but then I end up with that I can not lower my flash taht much, especially when the sun is down. Well, you understand now that I don´t.
So now, how to start.

http://www.studiolivia.se

Stockholm
SWEDEN
MWPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #2
Vicuna

Default Re: Outdoor studiolight shoot

ohh, and also, how do I control the background exposure?...then I guess I will have to use a small aperture....and I usually prefer a short DOF and this does not match. Can I have use of a ND filter on the lens? I use Cokin P.

Stockholm
SWEDEN
Old 10-16-2006   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No

Setting the flash 2 stops higher than the ambient light will darken the background down by two stops. Sometimes you need to do this (like in bright sunshine) but if you are shooting in the shade or in the evening it may make the background too dark. Matching the flash output to the ambient reading will make the background the same brightness as seen by the naked eye. A "cheap" way to kill some of the intensity of the flash is to put a white handkerchief across the tube (DO NOT USE THE MODELING LIGHT IF DOING THIS.) On my A/C - D/C flash unit that I use outdoors, the modeling light will not work when the switch is set on D/C but I'm not sure about the Bowens. Yes you can use a neutral density filter on the lens but you may wind up with auto focusing difficulties.

Benji
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #4
Vicuna

Thanks Benji, much apreciated. So to match the output to the ambient light is that the way forward, or just one way to go? What is then the purpose with the flashlight?
I need more beginner hints. I have seen examples when they shooting in the desert in full sun with plenty of flash light. Though I never saw the result.
More help please.
Mats

Stockholm
SWEDEN
Old 10-16-2006   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No

The flash will overpower unwanted shadows, provided they are not deep heavy shadows caused by direct sunlight. Ideally you will have soft and fairly non-directional light for your fill and the off camera flash unit will provide the directional light needed for the modeling of the face. In the image I have posted, I used an off camera flash unit (camera left) as my main light and the ambient light was my fill, hair and background lights. It was an overcast day. The ambient reading I believe was F 8 @ 1/60, so I set the flash at F 8. This way everything is properly exposed. Had I set the shutter speed at 1/30 the background, hair and fill lights would be one stop overexposed. Had I set the shutter speed at 1/125 those ligts would be underexposed by one stop.

Benji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OffCamFlash.jpg (94.8 KB, 220 views)
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #6
Vicuna

Hmmm, ok, thanks for good input. With this low shutter times I asume its time to fold up the tripod. I never use it in my studio. I need to move around to find the angle.
Mats

Stockholm
SWEDEN
Old 10-17-2006   #7
Vicuna

So is it only Benji that have experience of this? Please come with more examples and ex´planations, because I know this sounds easier than it is.

Stockholm
SWEDEN
Old 10-17-2006   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005
Editing OK?: Ask First

It all depends on what you want.
You can do whatever you want outside, even with translucent screens.
I use them alot on location to make the sun into one giant softbox

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: