Lighting for prom formals - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 6686
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Lighting for prom formals

And a couple resulting images... like they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words

Old 04-08-2011   #22
Llama

CamelKarma: 17322
Editing OK?: Yes

Nice Mike.. I like the highlights from the strip box.
nameBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #23
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Mike,
Outstanding job.
Question...
The scene is decorated by the prom committee at the proms we shoot.
Is this all your stuff?

I'm attaching a sample of the ball we shot in March.
We crop tighter for balls (typically older subjects), full length at proms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg militaryball.jpg (193.2 KB, 257 views)
Old 04-08-2011   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 6686

This one was from a smaller private school, so we had to do all of the set design etc. ourselves. The background was just 4' x 8' sheets of foam core that we cut up to look like a cityscape.
Old 03-17-2013   #25
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

So what lights did you use for this set up? I'm also doing a prom and will have to rent lights. And would like to know what you suggest.
Bekahjwadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #26
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
I love shooting military wedding and other functions. I find that there is a level of discipline and cooperation that makes my job easier and more organized.
Ed
You provided great advice Ed. Especially about shooting with normal angle lenses rather than UWA glass and shooting from a lower level. Shooting from my eye level would cause perspective distortion (especially with a wider focal length lens). I am sure that we have all seen images in which the subjects' upper body is larger and more prominent than the legs which look small and spindly. I'm 6'2" tall and if I were to shoot today with digital equipment, I would either opt for an articulating LCD or use a right angle finder to lower my position.

It is often a bit more photogenic to include a unit or service flag in the image. The U.S. Flag is also appropriate but you need to know the rules for display of the flag. When two flags are displayed, The American Flag should be flown to the (flag's own) right (camera left) of the other flag. (as in the above posted image). The right is a position of prominence. When two flags are shown, I like to have the flags border the image without seeing the wall to the rear of either flag at the image border. I also like to have the unit or service flag positioned (if at all possible) so that it is easily identified...

My own fetish when shooting military personnel is poor posture. Either slumped over or with the head bending forward (I used to call it the chicken neck pose) so that the inside of the back of the shirt and or blouse collar are visible. When I used to shoot groups of visiting foreign military officers at the Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk, VA; I enjoyed shooting groups of German officers the most. They seemed to have the best posture (they were always ram-rod straight).

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #27
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Old post, but looking for some input. I'm doing a highschool formal in two weeks and I will be using my Profoto B1's (x2). I was thinking of my 5' Octa just a few degrees to my right, high and behind me a tad, with the second light high and to the rear camera-left for a hair/rim light. I think that this second light will be required because I'm using a black background.

I have many modifiers, 2x3, 1x4, beauty dishes, 4'-7' brollies, but feel that this would be the best solution. Any opinions?

Jeff
rejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #28
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2900

Great information,thanks for sharing!
Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #29
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejay14 View Post
Old post, but looking for some input. I'm doing a highschool formal in two weeks and I will be using my Profoto B1's (x2). I was thinking of my 5' Octa just a few degrees to my right, high and behind me a tad, with the second light high and to the rear camera-left for a hair/rim light. I think that this second light will be required because I'm using a black background.

I have many modifiers, 2x3, 1x4, beauty dishes, 4'-7' brollies, but feel that this would be the best solution. Any opinions?

Jeff
One thing about proms, the lighting issues don't change much over the decades even if the lighting type changes.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic:

Tags
alien bees, formals, lighting, prom, strobe