Hair light,soft box
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Hair light,soft box

I'm trying to set up a small studio for headshots only, don't have room for much more in the space that I have.

I purchased some lights from a photographer who was sizing down. In the set was included a 32 X 32 Brited softbox, complete setup with stand, light, box etc.

Should I try to use it for main light or fill? Because of the size of my room, I've tried to use it for side fill, but my photos seem to be blowing out. Should I adjust the camera for this? Do I have it too close to my subject, or should I just use it as my main light and use an umbrella for fill, or just try using a reflector to fill?

It has settings to reduce the amount of flash power, but the box itself does not have baffles in it. I don't know if this is missing from the softbox or not because I've never owned one before. Do they all come with inside baffles?

Nannydeb

dvperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428
Default Re: Hair light,soft box

Not all boxes have baffles. It's easy to make one with curtain lining material (China silk or nylon). What you probably want to work towards is to balance your lights against an aperture of f5.6 to f11 depending on how close your subject is.

Think of the softbox as something you use up close to the subject. It will throw soft, formal shadows.

Think of your umbrella as a round catchlight for the eyes.

In a small room even a low power light can be too much. Get a pack of assorted ND (neutral density) gels; make sure they are big enough to tape over your strobe heads... we are talking strobes, right? The ND gels will allow you to attenuate lights that are too powerful... very handy in confined space.

Most shooters use a gridspot or a small box for hairlight.

Look around on here and when you see a shot sort of like you want to do... ask the shooter how they lit it.

Good luck.

Chip
Old 08-01-2006   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

Thans, Chip. I'm going to practice. Thanks for the advice on the hair light too, I think I might have something that will work for that too. I have this snoot with a honeycomb grid on it on a stand that I should be able to get up high enough. How much higher than the subject's head is the hairlight normally placed? And at what angle?

Nannydeb
Old 08-02-2006   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005

For hairlights I always use small softboxes.
Why ?
Because they give a even spread of light without being a to obvious hairlight that was added.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: