Some Vancouver water / park scenes
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Some Vancouver water / park scenes

I've moved from my previous haunt of Victoria BC to Vancouver, in order to start a post-doc. I didn't want to move but I consider myself lucky to have avoided moving even further (most jobs suitable for me are in the east).

Here are some scenes shot last night with the help of a particularly good Montecristo Edmundo (1.5 hours of tasty Cuban cigar).

I've been shooting with a very minimal kit lately; an Olympus E-P1 with 14-42mm zoom lens. This is a very compact setup, smaller than an old 35mm rangefinder.

Old 10-09-2009   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 290264
Default Re: Some Vancouver water / park scenes

Levels, contrast and color corrected. I think all need some correction due to flatness. Nice shots and they worth a little post work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levels-adj.jpg (162.3 KB, 89 views)
R. House is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #3
Llama

I'm using a macbook which has a notoriously high saturation level and a different gamma from windows. I probably should ensure I preview the colours and stuff.
walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9821
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
I'm using a macbook which has a notoriously high saturation level and a different gamma from windows. I probably should ensure I preview the colours and stuff.
Certainly what R.House posted looks like an improvement. But is the difference between the macbook and a windows-driven screen also partly a question of calibration?

Mr P
I do not seek praise. That's NOT why I post images. (Just send money )
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
[Canon 30D, 1DmkIII][10 Canon lenses: EF-S, EF, L, from 10-22 to 100-400][sundry accessories, gadgets and paraphernalia]
Mr P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 343120
Editing OK?: Ask First

I would suggest - looking from Jerhico to Van (image #2) - the light level in the top one (original) is more accurate. I have never seen the light level as bright as shown by R House at this time of year when the sun is lower in the sky.

Quite well done for such a small kit.
Old 10-09-2009   #6
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
Certainly what R.House posted looks like an improvement. But is the difference between the macbook and a windows-driven screen also partly a question of calibration?

Mr P
The easiest answer is yes, but the reasons have to do with the way the different systems display things by default. OS X (until the next revision, which I have been too cheap to buy) handles contrast and saturation quite differently, making images look more vibrant and colourful. This means that all your fancy saturated images look like overblown cartoons to me, and my "dull" images look punchy

Kind of annoying. One day I'll deal with it. I can make prints that look the way I want them, and that's ultimately what matters I guess.

Incidentally the reposted one does look a bit overcooked to me, but as I've said that could just be my system overdoing it.
walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9821
Editing OK?: Ask first

Yes, I'm not familiar with the mac.

As a kind of calibration check I've generally printed a photo on a decent printer (we have an Epson Stylus Pro 3800), whose colours one can trust, then fiddled with the display until it looks like the print.

Mr P
I do not seek praise. That's NOT why I post images. (Just send money )
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
[Canon 30D, 1DmkIII][10 Canon lenses: EF-S, EF, L, from 10-22 to 100-400][sundry accessories, gadgets and paraphernalia]
Mr P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 290264

If you take the image with the seagull on the post into your editor and just check the histogram and adjust the levels accordingly, you will see a change that has nothing to do with calibration. It is only the information captured by the sensor. Macs and PCs will show exactly the same info in Photoshop. Adjusting levels will correct much of the "flatness" in an image. Of course, all is subjective in the end. Best regards, Ray
R. House is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 14382

Great series and great place to stay.

Critique & Comment & Editing Always Appreciated.
Email: esurfer@tom.com
photosurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5330088
Editing OK?: Ask First

Walter, there appears to me an overall lack of sharpness in these images - are they all from E-P1 + 14-42mm, which lens when focused I have found produces pin sharp results every time ? Your E-P1 at launch was a miniature camera with many advanced features (and remains so), mostly found in larger dslrs only.

You mention in another thread that you like to use a heavy tripod. That makes me wonder whether you shot these on tripod with the camera's in-body IS on ? That is supposed to be a no-no, although I cannot say that I've noticed any ill effects when I have forgotten to switch IS off when I've used a tripod.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic: