Blood Wolf Moon
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2019   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 24890877
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Blood Wolf Moon

Used my Canon PowerShot SX60 HS for these. Its the only camera I have that can zoom sufficiently to capture the moon. Unfortunately, it isn't able to obtain the best focus in low light. Still, I'm reasonably happy about what I did manage to get.

File Type: jpg Blood Wolf Moon Total Eclipse rsp.jpg (77.3 KB, 137 views)

Ceropegia on Flicker
ceropegia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44246244
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Blood Wolf Moon

Excellent shot & series Martha.
Old 01-21-2019   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Are you sure the blur is the fault of your camera's focus and not because of motion blur? After all, you and your camera were moving the whole time. Even a tripod wouldn't help with this camera motion, which is mainly from the earth's rotation. The moon's image will travel about one diameter every two minutes. Said another way, for every second the shutter is open, the blur streaks will lengthen by 1/120 of the moon's diameter.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Lovely shots Martha.
Old 01-21-2019   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Are you sure the blur is the fault of your camera's focus and not because of motion blur? After all, you and your camera were moving the whole time. Even a tripod wouldn't help with this camera motion, which is mainly from the earth's rotation. The moon's image will travel about one diameter every two minutes. Said another way, for every second the shutter is open, the blur streaks will lengthen by 1/120 of the moon's diameter.
Thanks, I didn't think about that or knew what speed the moon traveled. Another factor on the last two shots is undoubtedly noise since they were shot at ISO 400. The last image, the blood moon, was a one second exposure, so based on your info, the blur would be 120th of the moon's diameter. Not sure how much that would impact the clarity.

FYI -The exposure times for the images from left to right were:

At ISO 100:
1/500 sec
1/400 sec
1/100 sec
1/125 sec
1/40 sec

At ISO 400:
1/40 sec
1 sec

Ceropegia on Flicker
Old 01-21-2019   #6
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Excellent shot & series Martha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
Lovely shots Martha.

Thanks!

Ceropegia on Flicker
Old 01-21-2019   #7
Camel Breath

Only the last image that was exposed at 1 second might be expected to exhibit motion blur, and even that would be only marginally noticeable in the 7-image montage, where the moon's image is only about 100 pixels in diameter. The big image might show some slight motion blur, and indeed does show a bit of blur. However, this blur shows no particular directionality, so most of the existing blur is likely from some other cause. I did look at the stars also, which would show roughly the same amount of motion blur as the moon would. I did see evidence of a pixel or two of motion blur that made the stars slightly elongated from lower left to upper right, but stars are about the most demanding subjects you can have to render sharply. As such, they are about as close to point sources of light as you can find, so any cause of blur, whether defocusing, lens aberrations, or camera/subject movement during exposure will show up under close examination.
Old 01-21-2019   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Only the last image that was exposed at 1 second might be expected to exhibit motion blur, and even that would be only marginally noticeable in the 7-image montage, where the moon's image is only about 100 pixels in diameter. The big image might show some slight motion blur, and indeed does show a bit of blur. However, this blur shows no particular directionality, so most of the existing blur is likely from some other cause.
Could very well have been my cheap lightweight shaky tripod (my more sturdy one broke several months ago). I did use a ten second timer to prevent shake caused by pressing the shutter button, but even that wasn't always long enough to allow the tripod to become perfectly still before an image was exposed. Also, very strong wind gusts tended to shake the tripod as did the deck I was on if I did not hold very still. All in all however, I am not unhappy about what I did manage to get .

Ceropegia on Flicker
Old 01-22-2019   #9
Camel Breath

You have been at this long enough to determine how much you use a tripod. You don't use one enough to need a top-of -the-line one, obviously, and it looks like you do most of your shooting where there is plenty of light. Nevertheless, it sounds like you need something sturdier than what you currently have for those occasions where you do need a tripod. You should be able to get something reasonably sturdy for about $100 or less, with a little careful shopping. Meanwhile, you might be able to get by on what you already have if you don't extend your center column too high and perhaps watch it with extending your tripod legs to their maximum. My Slik Pro 330DX does most of what I need, at least to the extent where I might curse its limitations from time to time but not to the extent to go shopping for something better yet, and it is still light enough that I take it with me and use it sometimes on trips. If I expect to do any night shooting, I am quite likely to take it with me.
Old 01-22-2019   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 1112852

great shots.

I tried to get some shots but it got so cold I could see the light rays freezing just before they entered the lensI Brrrr not used to this anymore.

Regardless which tripod I am using I try to add a little weight to the bottom of the center column or hang it from the center plate where the three legs join up.

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." Ansel Adams
Promapper is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic:

Tags
blood, eclipse, lunar, moon, total